CUHCC’s mission is transforming care and education to advance health equity. The clinic is known for providing high quality care to diverse patients and is moving forward in improving timely access to care for patients. This position will focus on cash application, credit review and documentation to include policies and procedures as well as process improvement. This position will also work as a resource for patients, providers, interpreters and clinic staff within the billing department. This position will cross-train with the Billing and Collections Leadership. This position will supervisor a team of 2-3 staff members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Position overview and functions may change as position develops.
1) Supervisory: (25%) a) Supervise 2-3 staff members b) Responsibilities include: i) Hiring including job description write-up and posting, resume review, interviewing candidates and extending offers to candidates ii) Training includes new hire training of systems, policies and procedures and job function/responsibilities. Training will also include any new or updated department processes as well as re-training in specific areas of need. iii) Coaching includes working one-on-one with staff members in regards to understanding and performing job functions and responsibilities including accountability iv) Productivity tracking of employees v) Performance Evaluations to be performed annually as well as during probation period of new hires vi) Disciplinary Actions include verbal and written warnings, consistent follow-up and follow-through with employee and/or up to termination
2) Cash Applications: (20%) a) Processing of biweekly Minnesota Department of Human Services remittance advice. This responsibility can later be reassigned to the cash applications specialist for cross-training purposes. Processing includes reviewing remittance advice for trends in payment and denials, accurate entry of all applicable transactions into the AR system, reconciliation process and work list creation, delegation and review. b) Responsible for managing the entire cash application process and supervise the cash applications specialist to accurately apply daily lockbox correspondence, transactions, read and understand EOBs, transfer copays/coinsurance/deductibles to patient or secondary insurance and file to secondary as needed per the primary EOB and patient benefits. c) Responsible to work with contact at clinic for daily payment reconciliation and to reconcile the Brinks pick up weekly with the accounting department leadership d) Review and post all payment, denial and changes batches received from staff and leadership for accurate transactions in the system e) Create and maintain a reconciliation process of all payment and denial files from insurance. f) Work with clearinghouse, insurance or system vendor as problems arise with receiving remittance files from insurance. g) Responsible for tracking, image scanning and storage of all correspondence files. h) Continuous process improvement.
3) Credit Review and Refunds: (20%) a) Responsible for managing the credit and refund process to ensure processes being followed and performed are kept compliant with rules and guidelines b) Responsible for managing the credit and refund specialist to assure all insurance and patient credits are reviewed and processed timely including working with the accounting department on complete follow through of the refund process c) Review and post all refund and changes batches received from staff and leadership d) Respond to all refund requests received by mail or phone timely to include rush requests. e) Continuous process improvement. f) Projects as deemed necessary.
4) Documentation: (20%) a) Working with Manager, responsible for accurately documenting department processes and procedures by working one-on-one with all departments and positions within the billing department. b) Assist in creating and maintaining/updating training and process manuals for staff and leadership c) Work with leadership team members for process improvements within each department.
5) Other job duties (10%): a) Cross-train with the Billing and Collections team leadership b) Hold and/or attend meetings with staff and leadership regularly c) Provide patients, providers and clinic staff with explanation of account balances, payment history and insurance coverage as related to medical, dental and mental health departments d) Team members will be in the billing phone queue as well as in the rotation for the clinic billing office.
5) Other duties as assigned: (5%)
A negative TB test is required for this position.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
Required Qualifications: 1. BA/BS or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years. Experience should be within a health plan, managed care organization or other healthcare entity. 2. Intermediate to Advanced skill level in Microsoft Access and Excel 3. Strong analytical skills 4. Strong attention to detail 5. Demonstrated ability to multi-task, organize tasks and prioritize including follow through on issues and projects timely and until resolved 6. Demonstrated high-level oral and written communication skills to work with patients, staff, providers and insurance companies 7. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills 8. Demonstrated ability to work with patients and staff from diverse cultures, languages and backgrounds 9. Demonstrated capacity to work on a team and make positive contributions to the team 10. Demonstrated ability to identify issues, report and work with manager to resolve 11. Knowledge of insurance verification, COB, billing practices and insurance collections 12. Knowledge of HIPAA 837P, 835P NCPDP file format and related Minnesota Uniform Companion Guidelines.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Post-secondary education credits in business or healthcare 2. Fluency in one of CUHCC’s predominant patient languages (Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, Lao, Hmong) 3. Knowledge of Federally Qualified Health Care Center (FQHC) 4. Experience with System Conversion 5. Experience with Project Management 6. 2 years of experience in supervising a department/unit
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.