Position Status: Classified; Level 26; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: Full Range: $4,732 to $7,530 per month; (see "Additional Posting Information" section for details)
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by July 9, 2017
Job Summary: The Applications Database Analyst provides system administration, project leadership and subject matter expertise on improving the integrity of information, as well as its intelligent, efficient and effective storage, translation and retrieval, in forwarding the mission of the college, without negatively impacting that data's availability or confidentiality.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Paid Leave: Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service) 8 hours of Sick Leave per month 24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year 11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
Responsibilities/Duties: 1. Leads planning and design discussions with users and technical staff to establish precise specifications for the college's SQL Server, MySQL, LDAP and other database solution requirements. Determines appropriate steps for successful implementation of database solution configurations that satisfy those requirements. Manages a strategic program that cuts across related projects to establish optimal enterprise application database platforms for the college.
2. Maintains, updates, designs, develops and creates database platforms, instances, schemas and systems based on approved requirements, and completes appropriate testing of all components. Manages implementation and post-implementation production support.
3. Researches options for using and/or integrating third-party applications into the PCC environment as components of the college's overall database administration, database integration, business intelligence and ETL toolsets.
4. Works dates for production scheduling, investigates infrastructure performance, performs application and database performance tuning, performs system integration, data archiving, designs and implements appropriate security and access control, and performs system monitoring.
5. Works closely with vendors and contractors to ensure all database solutions for supported applications operate as required by those applications. Identifies roles and responsibilities for support, maintenance, integration and extension of vendor or contractor developed database applications. May lead and/or participate in producing technical components of Request for Proposal (RFP) and Statement of Work (SOW) documents.
6. Provides consultation to departments and divisions regarding database system functionality and advises on best course of action. Performs feasibility studies for proposed database solutions prior to product acquisition and development, and conducts pilot projects for system enhancements or new systems.
7. Designs and executes test plans, conducts testing activities and facilitates smooth implementations for system changes.
8. Develops standard and ad-hoc reports for user departments and IT staff. Plans and develops data extracts based on user reporting needs, and facilitates access to the data through standard reporting tools.9.
9. Develops best-practice recommendations in relation to areas of responsibility.
10. Serves as technical advisor and resource to other technology teams. Facilitates training sessions for other technology staff, and develops procedural documentation for system support and user functionality.
Minimum Qualifications: In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems or related discipline (relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
Three years of leadership experience in managing enterprise applications in a large information technology organization.
Knowledge and Skills Knowledge of:
Contemporary multi-tier and web-based enterprise applications, infrastructure (e.g., servers, network equipment and connectivity) Scripting and development languages commonly used for application integration, e.g., Java, Perl, shell, PHP Databases, reporting, and production processing for enterprise application systems; Project management best practices; Application design principles.
Demonstrated Skill in:
Designing, developing, maintaining and updating application systems; Defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions; Leading and managing projects; Communicating technical information to a non-technical audience; Providing customer service.
Serve as technical resource to TSS staff and user departments/divisions related to enterprise application systems; Recognize, minimize and resolve production problems; Train users and technical staff; Develop reports and procedural documentation; Communicate effectively through oral and written mediu
Preference will be given to applicants with additional education beyond the minimum qualifications with Major or Minor in Math, Computer Science, Engineering, Law, or Data Analysis, or equivalent training and experience.
Experience: Work experience in a complex organization with distributed decision-making. Programming in at least one programming language
Additional Desirable Experience: Enterprise Database Performance Tuning in multiple DB platforms; Enterprise Data-Intensive Systems Integration; Data security (confidentiality, integrity, availability) at rest and in motion; Database migration (e.g. Oracle to mysql, mysql to SQL Server); Business Intelligence and Analytics process, procedure and tool development; ETL connector development in Java/Groovy, powershell and Unix shell
Skills: Complex problem-solving, systemic analysis, stakeholder communication and relationship building.
Desirable Training, Certifications, and Professional Affiliations: Data Management (CDMP, CBIP), Database Admin (Oracle OCA/OCP, Microsoft MCDBA, Mongo DB certs), Information security (CISSP, Security+, OrangeBook, etc), Project management (PMP, Project+, etc), Business analysis (CBAP, CCBA), Enterprise Architecture (TOGAF), DAMA, ICCP
- Normally the starting salary for new employees will be at the entry salary for that level, unless approved for advanced salary placement.
To apply for this position you must submit: 1. Completed responses to the (4) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)* 2. Completed online application 3. Cover Letter (attach document)* 4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting: Resume Cover Letter Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.