Under the general supervision of the Clinical Nurse Manager, the MA provides skilled clinical support to assist the Physician, Advanced Practice Nurse, or licensed nursing staff in the care and treatment of patients. Assist with referrals, sets up patient rooms, takes vitals and other patient stats, with patient care team for a whole-person approach to health care. Treats patients professionally and with dignity.
TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY, AN INDIVIDUAL MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM EACH ESSENTIAL DUTY SATISFACTORILY. THE REQUIREMENTS LISTED BELOW ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND/OR ABILITY REQUIRED. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES.
• Work in reception • Answer telephone • Schedule appointments • Process medical billing • Keep financial records • File medical charts • Telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy
• Escort patient to exam room • Obtain patient history interviews • Take and record vital signs • Prepare patient for examination • Use medical terminology and accepted charting abbreviations in documentation • Provide patient information/instructions • Assist with medical examinations/surgical procedures • Set up/clean patient rooms • Maintain inventory • Restock supplies in patient rooms • Collect and prepare laboratory specimens • Change dressings • Notify patients of laboratory results • Schedule patient appointments • Translate during medical interviews with non-English-speaking patients • Give prevention reminders • Instruct patients about medications or special diets • Perform basic laboratory tests
Educate patients about procedures. If there is competency verification, the Medical Assistant can do the following activities:
• Perform visual acuities/ visual field screening and hand held optoacoustic emission testing. • Remove sutures and staples • Perform CLIA waived on-site testing
1. Hemoglobin 2. Urinalysis 3. Glucose testing 4. Strep A Rapid Test 5. Urine HCG 6. Hemoglobin A1C
• Perform venipuncture • Administer nebulizer treatments • Administer immunizations • Measure peak flow • Perform spirometry • Prepare/administer oral/intramuscular/intradermal/subcutaneous medications as directed • Perform ECGs
• Adhere to OSHA guidelines for a safe work environment • Follows all rules required to comply with confidentiality and HIPAA policies. • Complies with applicable laws and regulations and the corporate compliance program of Community Nurse • Performs other duties as assigned
• Minimum 18 years of age • Current Illinois Medical Assistant Certification (may obtain within 1 year of employment) • Bilingual English/Spanish • Meets agency health and immunization requirements • CPR certified • Experience in a not-for-profit organization, preferred • Experience in a hospital or community health center preferred
Ability to communicate medical procedures and terminology to and with patients & medical professionals. Ability to work with a diverse range of personnel – protected classes of genders, races, religious backgrounds, socio-economic status, etc. Ability to multi-task. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks from more than one person at a time. Demonstrated strong phlebotomy skills – REQUIRED Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Publisher) and be proficient with e-mail and internet communications and research. Demonstrate flexibility and "whatever-it-takes" attitude. Ability to read and interpret maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, Safety Data Sheets. EHR Experience – ECW preferred.
•Ability to be mobile in our facilities. •Climb stairs. •Ability to lift/support/restrain patients when necessary. •Ability to lift small boxes, packages and other items up to 25 lbs.
Varied settings within the multi-site organization mostly offices, conference areas, community meetings and professional meetings.
Blood pressure machine, sphygmomanometer, computers, digital phones, scanners, fax and copy machines, tablets, digital projection devices, media presentation and recording technology.
Additional Salary Information: Compensation is commensurate with experience
Ninety-five year old community health center in near western suburbs seeks mission-minded, skilled personnel to fill posted vacancies. Competitive salaries and benefits packages commensurate with experience.