NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor of Sleep Technology.
In this role, the successful candidate The sleep care manager works under the general supervision of the medical director or designee to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders including in center and out of center sleep testing, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, comprehensive patient care and direct patient education. In addition to proficiency in all competencies related to sleep technology, the sleep care manager participates with clinical evaluation, diagnostic and therapeutic testing, home therapy, patient education and compliance management. Education and management of patients with sleep disorders requires understanding of the multifaceted disease processes that affect both sleep and wakefulness. The sleep care manager is credentialed in sleep technology, able to provide oversight of other sleep center staff and is able to interact with physicians and other health care providers in a professional manner.
1. Competency with Practice Parameters and Clinical Guidelines for Polysomnography/Sleep Disorders o Domains of practice include all of the elements of the Sleep Technologist role. o Demonstrate familiarity with pathophysiology, epidemiology, and clinical guidelines for sleep disorders and treatment options.
2. Evaluation/Management of Sleep Disorders o Competent with specific clinical assessment using standardized diagnostic tools (e.g., Epworth Sleepiness Scale, Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index). o Monitor patient adherence to prescribed treatment. o Collect, analyze and integrate patient information. o Coordinate in center and out of center diagnostic testing and therapeutic modalities. o Implement and follow-up on physician orders. o Communicate effectively and professionally with the patients healthcare team regarding new or continued symptoms, treatment concerns or management of optimal care. o Develop programs and provide education to assist patients with treatment compliance including how to track health improvement indicators. o Discuss equipment/supply replacement schedule. o Assist with acclimation to PAP; proper usage of PAP, interface troubleshooting, pressure relief options, cleaning and safety education
3. Comprehensive Understanding of Teaching and Motivational Skills o Apply principles of motivational teaching to facilitate patient self-management. o Provide patient education for sleep disorders, comorbidities, therapeutic equipment and processes, medical therapy options, sleep hygiene and self-help. o Encourage family/bed partner participation with patient treatment plan. o Promote community education on general sleep hygiene, sleep disorders and treatment options.
4. Program and Business Management o Confirm insurance verification/authorization requirements and patient financial responsibility. o Utilize electronic medical records programs. o Maintain accurate, pertinent, accessible, confidential and secure patient records in accordance with privacy and security standards. o Assure patient records contain documentation of all patient interactions. o Manage patient outcomes database. o Provide oversight of other sleep center staff. o Develop and implement quality assurance/improvement activities and staff training. o Participate in professional development activities
5. Service Management and Essential Skills: o Maintain proficiency in the domains of practice of the Sleep Technologist. o Comply with professional standards of conduct. o Comply with applicable laws, regulations, guidelines, and standards regarding safety and infection control. o Meet all industry registry and state licensure requirements mandated for the Sleep Technologist. o Maintain current CPR or BLS certification. o Demonstrate proficient use of medical terminology. o Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the pathophysiology of sleep disorders and associated comorbidities. o Demonstrate effective patient assessment techniques. o Perform database management. o Use a variety of communication and teaching techniques to optimize patient education and motivate self-management. o Demonstrate computer skills appropriate for the position. o Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills; age specific competencies. o Demonstrate appropriate social skills; cultural competency. o Demonstrate customer service skills; health literacy. o Demonstrate critical thinking and ability to work with minimal supervision. o Demonstrate the ability to analyze complex situations and apply policy. o Demonstrate teamwork skills and ability to work collaboratively with other healthcare providers. o Develop and implement policies to maintain the privacy and security of patient information. o Adhere to sleep center policies related to quality assurance, clinical procedures and emergency preparedness and safety. o Demonstrate ability to manage sleep center personnel. o Assist the medical director and/or manager in all aspects of sleep center operations.
To qualify you must have a minimum of five years experience in sleep technology and documented proficiency for all competencies required of a sleep technologist AND sleep care manager. NYS OP License and current registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist, OR, Registered Respiratory Therapist, OR Respiratory Therapy Technician competent to perform Polysomnographic Technology services.
None provided in file.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.
NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class patient-centered integrated academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research, and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals – Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of... only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center – plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.