New Roads is a K–12 college-preparatory, independent school set on two campuses in Los Angeles and Santa Monica, California. At the heart of New Roads’ philosophy is the belief that all children deserve access to education that places traditional academic pursuits in contemporary context and that engages students intellectually and emotionally in preparation for the challenges of our ever-evolving world. Unique among private schools, New Roads strives to have a student body and faculty that reflects the diversity of Los Angeles by prioritizing socioeconomic and racial diversity. Weaving together Los Angeles County’s kaleidoscope of communities, we inspire our students to become creative thinkers, committed citizens, and compassionate human beings.
In ways that are unique, New Roads curriculum, pedagogy and assessment reflect the spirit and intention of our School Philosophy, and strives to spark enduring curiosity, to promote personal, social, political, cultural and moral understanding, to instill respect for the life and ecology of the earth, and to foster the sensitivity to embrace life's deep joys and mysteries.
We are looking for a dynamic, inventive and multi-faceted full-time Science teacher who will: *Be able to use conventional and unconventional tools to explore Science and follow the interests of students in a measured and meaningful way
· Show an ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
· Understand theories related to middle school students’ developmental milestones and socio-emotional lives
· Passion for teaching and understanding of and respect for students’ individual learning styles
· Passion for personal and professional growth as Middle School teacher
· Will maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
· Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to learning process.
· Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged
· Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles,behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
· Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level content knowledge and skills through Spanish
· Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment
· Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/ guardians remaining sensitive to different families cultures, values and needs.
· Show concern for and nurture the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, ethical, and aesthetic development.
· Show a commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the class
· Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, New Roads philosophy and approach to education.
· Demonstrate commitment to social justice and working with a diverse community.
· Show experience and interest in differentiated instruction, project-based, constructivist approach teaching and learning, as well as portfolio, authentic, and performance assessment.
· Demonstrate thorough knowledge of subject matter, including grammar, and effectiveness in teaching.
· Desire to teach reading comprehension skills and building vocabulary.
· Knowledge of supporting the metacognitive skills and learning strategies to access the disciplines
· Knowledge of how to teach students to use textbooks,as well as other resources
· Desire to collaborate across disciplines
· Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills,the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities
· Solid organization, communication and writing skills
· Excellent classroom management skills
B.A. degree required/ M.A. degree preferred in Education or related field. Minimum three years teaching experience is required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, describing your educational philosophy and how your experience and skills will contribute to the position, along with your resume via email to: Ryan Hawley at email@example.com
New Roads School is Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry,sex, sexual orientation, gender,gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, religion, veteran status, marital-status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.