Animal Care Technicians clean, feed and water research animals housed in the animal care facilities. They are responsible for checking animalsâ?? health status on a daily basis. All work must be done in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures, EH&S practices, USDA, OLAW, AAALAC and OSHA regulations.
The grade level (5 or 6) of the position will be determined based on the qualifications of the chosen candidate.
- Required: High School graduate
- Preferred: AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level (grade 6). Certification will be required within one year of employment (grade 5).
- Minimum one year experience working with animals (grade 5). 2 years of animal research experience (grade 6).
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work and contribute effectively in a team setting.
- Animal Care Technicians work with a wide variety of animals and must learn about different housing and care needs of each.
- There is a high risk of being bitten and/or scratched.
- Many tasks are performed repeatedly.
- Must be responsive to changes that occur with short notice.
- Some weekend and holiday work is required.
- Must wear personal protection equipment e.g. masks, shoe covers, gloves, eye protection, and disposable overalls as needed.
- Must attend all required safety training and adhere to the animal care occupational health and wellness policy.
- Criminal background check required.
Recruiting Start Date:2017-05-17-07:00
Job Posting Title:Animal Care Technician
Department:Animal Care Facility
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.