NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Food Service Helper.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing diversified tasks under the supervision of the: Tray Assembly Supervisor in the operation off the tray assembly line, up to and including Key Tray Assembler; Sanitation Supervisor in routine sanitation operation of the dishroom, kitchen and service areas; Cafeteria Supervisor in the preparation as well as serving of food, up to and including Counter Helper; Receiving Supervisor in various activities of receiving and storage; and Patient Services Supervisor, ensuring that patients receive appropriate nourishments, trays and food selections.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attends meetings and in-services as assigned. Assures management of attendance at meetings and in-services by signing attendance sheets. Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of materials and instructions given. Participates actively in group discussions.
- Performs as a Diet Aide. Reviews patient menus to ensure adherence to prescribed diets and nutritional care plans. Modifies menus in accordance with changes in diet orders. Ensures that patient menus contain all the necessary information: name, room number, and diet orders. Maintains an updated list of patients' dietary preferences and diet orders. Ensures that patient's food allergies, and intolerance are taken care of and noted. Assists patients with menu selections. Relays patient's questions, comments, and concerns to Nutritionist. Keeps supervisor updated on any problematic situations. Completes meal rounds on a daily basis. Assures all patients menu/dietary needs are met.
- Prepares orders for satellite area and stores them according to supervisor's request whether they are staged or delivered. Documents item issues properly (e.g.) weight, unit of issue, count, and nomenclature of all items. Signs all requisitions when completed and sign for receipt of items. Delivers all requisition and invoices to department office. Accounts for all food and non-food orders before they are picked up or delivered. Adheres to established policy and procedures pertaining to supplemental requisition.
- Performs as a Stores Attendant. Ensures that all food and non-food are stores after they have been checked. Dates produce, dairy and meat items before storing. Always uses clean racks and trays. Ensures that all products are properly rotated (FI-FO). Maintains all items in an orderly fashion on the shelves at all time. Assures all products are dated appropriately (all dented cans are stored for proper return).
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of workstations. Fills refrigerator with milk products and sodas, the freezer with ice cream and fills yogurt topping bar. Collects, prepares, serves, distributes and displays food and supplies based on menu and customer request in various stations of the cash operation outlets. Set up, grills/fries all items necessary for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sets up, maintains and serves hot/cold items. Follows established timetable and completes assignment within allotted timeframe. Collects supplies and displays attractively within code compliance. Confers with supervisor and/or peers relating to assignment and other related duties.
- Performs as a Cafeteria Helper or Counter Helper. Places dry goods and paper goods in their respective areas. Rotates stock on a first in first out basis. Assures refrigerated items are stored when delivered to prevent spoilage. Always keeps storeroom organized and clean. Refills all plastic ware at stations so that containers are full. Assures that all napkins, cups, plastic wares, straws and portion control packets are filled and neat at the station and area.
- Maintains clean work area and equipment according to department guidelines. Concentrates and keeps control of belt line tray flow with a minimum of errors. Uses the correct equipment for serving and portion control. Practices good food handling procedures and correct use of food gloves and serving utensils. Practices proper hand washing techniques according to standard operating procedures. Maintains clean working environment and uses clean sterilized utensils according to department guidelines. Notifies management of defective equipment and any hazardous conditions in or around work area.
- Performs as a Tray Assembler or Key Tray Assembler. Prepares cold foods within established preparation guidelines. Works on late, hold, or early trays before and after tray service. Reads menu portion carefully and arranges food accurately on patient trays using the proper guidelines.
- Maintains clean, organized refrigerator, freezer, and food bank. Always pays attention to corners, under equipment, and refrigerator vents. Assures pots, plans, fryers, skillets, broilers and griddles are properly clean and returned to proper working condition or location.
- Performs as a Utility Attendant/Pot Washer. Sets up assigned workstation (e.g dishroom, pot washing area, and kitchen), collects supplies and equipment needed to complete duties; and operates sanitation equipment correctly. Collects and strips trays from tray conveyor, patient trucks, or busing carts. Cleans, sorts, racks, and stores trays, dishes, glassware, hot water/coffee, and flatware according to established departmental procedures.
To qualify you must have a High School diploma or equivalent.
Must be able to communicate, read, and write English well.
Must be able to understand and carryout simple oral and written instruction.
Minimum of one year experience in Food Service.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.