About the Organization
Today there are more than 1.8 million immigrants in the U.S. who are college-educated but are unemployed or significantly underemployed. Upwardly Global provides customized training and support for these new Americans to give them an equal opportunity to find and secure skill appropriate opportunities and achieve their full economic potential in the U.S. The outcome is global talent for employers and family sustaining incomes for those who were previously unemployed or underemployed.
Upwardly Global recently completed phase 1 of a two-part strategic plan that focused on growing regionally from three to 7 markets and launched an online learning platform that allows us to reach our target audience in 40 states. In phase 2 of the Plan which runs from June 2016 through 2020, we are now focused on going deep in 3 key markets (NYC is one of the key markets and is the agency’s headquarters) where we look to grow our NYC development efforts from 1.5 million in 2017 to 2.5- 3 million over the next four years.
This is an exciting opportunity for a top notch development candidate looking for an opportunity to support deeply meaningful work in immigrant and refugee integration by helping scale our NYC fundraising portfolio. Key focus areas include growing our Individuals from 300k to 600k, expand our premier event, Passport to Possibilities, from 500k to million annually; create and grow our government revenue and continue to build and grow our institutional portfolio from 600k to 1 million over the next 4 years of the strategic plan.
Joining the UpGlo team will provide opportunities for the successful candidate to work with Development peers across the National Fundraising Team including CEO, VP Development Strategy, National Grants team and Regional Development Directors in SF and Chicago. The successful candidate will look to inspire and grow funder interest in supporting the UpGlo mission; bring strategic planning and thinking to continue our evolution as the top national organization driving the successful integration of skilled immigrants, refugees and asylees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President of Development Strategy (VPDS), the Regional Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships (RDD) will be responsible for: 1) securing, growing and diversifying local development opportunities; 2) identifying, cultivating and maintaining regional and national corporate partnerships; and 3) supporting local innovation efforts to achieve strategic plan goals. This person will be called upon to act as the public face of UpGlo in the region and act in the place of the CEO when needed.
- Actively work with the VPDS to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include government, foundation, events, major donors and corporate revenues sufficient to meet strategic plan goals. There will be a special emphasis on growing government and individual donor funding.
- Actively identify and explore opportunities for government funding in NYC including discretionary city council funds, workforce funding, and other funding through sources such as the governor’s office and local and state economic development board.
- Develop, cultivate, and grow relationships with major donors and funders. Host and participate in local and regional discussions with major donors and funders in order to secure funding and partnership opportunities.
- Collaborate with the VPDS to develop and manage the local leadership council/local board to grow their fundraising capacity; support local board member and leadership council members to reach their annual goals through securing funding from their networks and supporting regional events.
- Serve as the leader for the development and execution of the region’s event strategy, including regional donor events, our annual Passport to Possibilities gala and other events to raise awareness of UpGlo’s brand and mission.
- Grow institutional (Foundation and Corporate Foundation) financial support.
- Collaborate with NYC Regional Program Director to grow revenue from the development of employer partnerships opportunities that support our skills based volunteer activities and companies’ access to our jobseeker talent pool.
- Support and partner with VPDS on strategic expansion of corporate partnership initiatives.
- Work with a seasoned development leader who has led other organizations from $5 to $10M in revenue, work alongside the org's dynamic CEO who is based out of NYC, and interface with corporate leaders from industry leading companies.
- Help build a community of supporters who care about immigrants and refugees as core to our identity as a city and a country.
- Liaise with the VPDS and VPP on targeted, strategic projects.
- Serve as a thought leader, in collaboration and partnership with senior leaders and pro-bono teams, as appropriate, to refine and execute on strategies related to differentiated services, earned revenue, strategic partnerships, scaling models, and potential re-skilling partnerships.