La Casa Norte is seeking full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to build the capacity of our coalition, the Northwest Food Partners Network (NFPN), to support community leaders in identifying food-resource barriers, developing comprehensive solutions and implement anti-hunger strategies.
The Northwest Food Partners Network unites organizations in the mission to provide quality food, promote self-sufficiency and wellness, and build a bridge between emergency food providers and community issues. This 12-agency coalition brings together food pantries, free hot meal sites, health and nutrition educators, and more, in Chicago's Northwest Side neighborhoods of Humboldt Park, Logan Square, West Town, East Garfield Park and Belmont Cragin.
La Casa Norte, the NFPN's lead agency, serves youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing, and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities.
The Hunger Free Community-AmeriCorps VISTA will be responsible for:
- Expanding the Northwest Food Partners Network’s supporter base through targeted outreach and organizing work, and leveraging that base to create high quality programming and increase resources available to network member programs.
- Working with community members to develop and enhance collaborations between governmental agencies, community-based organizations and other community stakeholders (faith-based, business, etc.).
- Completing community assessments/mapping to identify community institutions/assets to be included in anti-hunger goals.
- Enhancing public/private partnerships by identifying potential organizations to recruit to anti-hunger work.
- Identifying barriers to food resources and producing a report of findings.
- Creating a community-wide “end hunger” plan with the input of partner organizations as well as low-income community members which documents the impact of hunger in the community and a plan for addressing this hunger through a collective impact approach.
- Recruiting, managing, and training community volunteers to participate in identified activities.
- Collecting data and reporting on the coalition’s progress.
- Attending La Casa Norte’s weekly staff meetings, monthly staff meetings and other staff trainings as assigned
- Performing other duties as needed
This is a one year, full-time position. The anticipated start date is in July 17, 2017.
This is a stipend volunteer position with AmeriCorps-Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA). Learn more at https://www.vistacampus.gov/.
- Living allowance of $12,312
- Segal Education Award ($5,775) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500)
- Potential to forbear or defer student loans while in service
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Childcare assistance (if applicable)
- One year non-competitive status for federal government positions
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
*For more information on benefits provided through AmeriCorps VISTA, visit: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service