- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of five years' related purchasing experience, preferably within the construction environment, including experience with automated purchasing systems, required
- Advanced degree and/or other professional certification (i.e. CPP, CPM, APP) preferred.
- Experience with large, complex organizations from a systems and workflow perspective preferred.
- Experience with the development of agreements strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research administration / grants management and accounting business processes preferred.
The successful Director, Construction/Facilities Purchasing must have:
- Experience with automated purchasing systems required.
- Significant experience in the development and management of policy and process changes across organizational lines and within an established ERP systems environment necessary.
- Must have a general understanding of the laws, rules, and regulations related to UCC.
- In addition, must have an understanding of the design and construction process: construction terminology, estimating, bidding and contracting, labor and material analysis, trade and union functions, fees, risk management.
- Experience qualifying suppliers and negotiating rates necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required, along with a demonstrated ability to prepare reports, summaries and analyses and present findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze data and evaluate information required.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational and problem solving skills, and have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to effectively manage high transaction volumes on an on-going basis.
- Must be a self-starter and capable of operating with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including active listening skills, plus the ability to work closely and effectively with a diverse group of University administrators, characterized by strong consensus building and relationship building skills, essential.
- Must be able to negotiate issues and resolve problems. In addition, the successful candidate must be able to work well with all levels of management, both internally and externally, and be flexible in nature with sound judgment.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality
Columbia University is an Equal Employment / Affirmative Action Employer
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world. Columbia is one of the top academic and research institutions in the world, conducting path breaking research in medicine, science, the arts, and the humanities. It includes three undergraduate schools, thirteen graduate and professional schools, and a school of continuing education. We are committed to attracting and retaining the best and brightest in the workforce to support our mission of excellence in higher education and research.