Clinical Research Specialist - (170000TM)
The University of Maryland's Department of Psychiatry has an exciting opportunity to work as a Clinical Research Specialist with Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The position will support a state-funded behavioral health access program that supports pediatric primary care providers' integration of behavioral health services. This well-established program provides outreach, training and phone consultation to primary care providers statewide and includes a comprehensive evaluation component.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Perform and direct studies and/or project(s). Develop, recommend, modify and implement policies and procedures and/or methods for clinical research. Develop protocol manuals and data collection instruments. Participate in the design of research studies.
- Perform clinical research activities including advanced data analysis using statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, and R; data management (collection, entry, verification); data interpretation, and ensures compliance and clinical relevance of data.
- Searches relevant literature, develops conclusions on research findings, writes reports, prepare and deliver presentations of relevant findings and conclusions, and recommends appropriate actions. Conduct library research and contributes to the preparation and writing of research findings for publication of journal articles and grant proposals.
- Manages interaction with subject participants including eligibility screening, recruitment, enrollment, ensuring informed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtaining patient medical history. Obtains tissue and blood samples as necessary and collects information through interviews, questionnaires, test results, and charts.
- Perform Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) protocol development and ensure compliance of research operations with protocols.
- Serves as liaison to other departments, outside organizations, government agencies, and product representatives to promote effective and efficient operation and use of resources.
- Perform administrative duties such as providing training and guidance to students and other clinical staff, attending research meetings, and assisting with contract negotiations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Psychiatry, Social Work, or discipline appropriate to position required. Master's degree is preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years of related clinical research experience with at least two (2) years relevant research specialization.
Other: Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.*
* Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possesses a knowledge of data manipulation and analysis and clinical research procedures and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements, regulations, and laws. Ability to understand and utilized scientific/medical terminology and research theory. Ability to gain knowledge and meet the reporting needs of UMB policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses strategies to increase knowledge base. Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.
Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding. Skills in ethically communicating risks and benefits an ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E3304E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: May 18, 2017
: Jun 8, 2017, 11:59:00 PM