General DescriptionDepartment: Rheumatology
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m. 37.5 hrs.
This position manages and leads the financial, human resources, marketing, strategic planning, business development and administrative activities of the Department of Medicine's (DOM) Division of Rheumatology. This position partners with the Division Director to define and implement the vision for the Division, works with faculty and staff to develop and implement new programs, and ensures policies and procedures are followed. The position reports directly to the Division Director and to the Administrator of the Department of Medicine - Bayview to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of the Division. This position encompasses the management of finances, grant and contract administration, clinical practice operations, faculty/staff human resources, strategic visioning and overall fiscal performance of the Division. This position spans the Rheumatology faculty at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Green Spring Station, White Marsh and other future sites.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Direct the day-to-day administrative, personnel and financial operations of the Division. Oversee all divisional staff, including administrative, financial, academic, research and related support personnel. * In collaboration with the Division Director, provide advice and counsel to divisional faculty and staff in order to make the most effective use of the Division's physical, human and financial resources. * Implement financial controls, provide fiscal management over administrative, academic, sponsored research and general funds activities, and strategically plan for the future. Proactively establish processes, metrics and procedures to ensure compliance with government, hospital, university and school policies. Serve as a resource for faculty and staff in sponsored accounting and reporting procedures. * Continually monitor and advise faculty and staff regarding administrative and academic activity, implications of policy changes and information systems strategies. Plan technology infrastructure to ensure efficiency across administrative, academic, and clinical operations. * Work with JHU Human Resources to establish and outline growth opportunities within the Division to provide career paths for employees, establish a positive working environment and minimize staff turnover. Direct activities to improve staff performance, develop the organization and manage change. * Manage the clinical practices of the Division of Rheumatology to ensure the highest levels of quality, access, efficiency and service. This includes appropriate staffing levels, customer service standards, revenue cycle, charge capture, communication with billing production unit, and physician billing compliance. Develop metrics in conjunction with Division Director and Clinical Director to monitor and improve performance.
* Encourage team environments within the department to improve skills and communications. Promote a culture of growth and development centered on achieving optimal service, both internally and externally.
* Manage, review and analyze the performance of the Division on a monthly basis, including All Funds, clinical practice, productivity, gifts, endowments, general funds and research operation metrics.
* Plan, develop, and monitor the grants and contracts of the Division in consultation with Principal Investigators. Oversee sponsored research pre- and post-award processes. Oversee the expenditure of funds in assigned areas, including primary funds, gifts, grants, and contracts, ensuring that funds are expended according to the organization's policies and guidelines.
* Develop fiscal year annual operating budget for submission to the Department of Medicine. Measure performance monthly and develop/implement performance improvement plans as needed.
* Partner with faculty leadership to develop new program business plans. Partner with hospital and other departments in development of financials, implementation and operations oversight.
* Ensure divisional compliance with all relevant JHU, hospital, and external policies and regulations, including Effort Reporting, E210 Time and Attendance System, Joint Commission, and space compliance.
* Participate in strategic planning and program planning for the Division.
* Confer with appropriate university accounting offices to ensure that required fiscal procedures are followed. Provide procedural direction relating to budgets and serve as liaison between the Business Offices of the JHU and private industry. Correct errors and inform faculty members of any problems or discrepancies. Close out all terminated accounts, reconcile ledgers, and ensure account balances are zero.
Internal: Department of Medicine Administration at Bayview and East Baltimore, Dean's Office, Research Administration, School of Medicine Business Office, Registrar's Office, Marketing and Communications, Research Accounting, Facilities, General Accounting, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Information Systems. Various other departments and divisions in the School of Medicine and JHM.
External: Patients, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, external affiliated hospitals, private and government granting agencies, and various vendors and service providers (e.g., supply companies, professional medical organizations and societies, contractors).