A cover letter is required in order to be considered for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should outline skills and experience that directly relate to the University of Michigan, Division of Public Safety and Security, Michigan Medicine Security position.
The hiring process will measure the following competencies:
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving
- Building Trust
- Work Ethic
- Customer Service
- Professional Development
- Valuing Diversity and Inclusion
Candidates will be required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions through a third party vendor (no cost to applicant).
Review of applications will begin on June 2, 2017 and the position will remain open until a successful candidate is hired.
This is a union position.
The University of Michigan, Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS), Michigan Medicine Security serves the community by preparing for, protecting against and responding to a broad range of emergencies that could impact our people, operations and environment. Michigan Medicine Security services the University of Michigan and Michigan Medicine. Protecting the health and wellbeing of all: faculty, staff, patients, families and visitors. We protect the assets and preserve the best interests of the University.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, psychological evaluation, physical and drug screening. The position requires driving a university vehicle so the candidate must have a valid driver’s license and driving record of less than 6 points.
- Work closely with the department's lieutenants and command staff to ensure the successful, smooth, exemplary operation of this department.
- Provide supervision to a team of security officers.
- Provide shift briefing, handle scheduling issues and other supervisor duties that arise.
- Act as a liaison between hospital administration, other university departments, police agencies, and fire department officials.
- This position may be called upon to perform other supervisory duties as needed
- This is a uniformed position that may be called upon to perform any duty that security officers are expected to perform. These include but are not limited to:
- Patrol assigned areas, observe suspicious activities and persons.
- Provide general assistance and information to the staff and public.
- Conduct both preliminary and in-depth investigations, prepare incident reports, and maintain strict confidentiality of all information gathered.
- Complete special projects and oversee other specific areas of responsibility.
- Work closely with the other departments in the division and with division administration.
- Other duties, as assigned.
This position will primarily work the midnight shift. However, the person filling this position
must remain flexible. This position can be called upon to work with other squads and shifts as needed the schedule is subject to change.
- A bachelor degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Reasonable experience as a security professional
- Excellent communication skills and ability to be a credible witness in court
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse population of partners within academic, research, medical and business settings
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, multitask and prioritize assignments and deadlines
- Ability to present ideas and recommendations to peers and management
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced security environment, where confidentiality is critical
This is a union position
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.