Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The Coordinator of Recreational Services is responsible for the development and administration of a comprehensive recreation services program serving the needs of the campus community, as well as internal Recreation, Marketing and Health programs and staff. This position is directly responsible for the oversight of recreation services that include marketing and fitness. This individual will supervise students and part-time temporary/hourly staff in the areas of fitness and marketing. Specific program responsibilities include program management, development and oversight of operating budgets, development, monitoring and enforcement of program policies and procedures, and administration of revenue collection.
- Independently responsible for the oversight of recreational services that include marketing and fitness; Provide leadership and direction to ensure that recreation programs engage participants, promote health and wellness and provide a cross-section of opportunities for learning to enhance our member experience.
- Ensures the planning, organization, implementation, and evaluation of programs are conducted in accordance with established service and safety standards.
- Independently implement, administer and evaluate day-to-day activities of the unit, function or program. Act as key contact.
- Provide effective customer service delivery, management of associated risks and liability, evaluation and development of programs and procedures, and operating solutions.
- Cultivate an inclusive, safe, and diverse environment for staff, members and guests; address patron comments, concerns, behavior, and conduct issues as necessary.
- Develop and manage Recreation policies and procedures based on University and department guidelines as well as best practices; Ensures that policies & procedures are properly developed, communicated, interpreted and implemented uniformly; analyze and evaluate policies and procedures and revise as needed; Monitor and enforce program policies and procedures
- Collect and analyze data, create reports, review and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the program.
- Seeks creative solutions to problems and initiates improvements to programs, systems and services.
- Assist with the oversight of facilities, storage rooms, and daily on-site staff.
- Assists in the development of a comprehensive package of promotional, communications and marketing efforts.
- Defines target markets. Assists in conducting assessments and research regarding programming and service needs.
- Encourages participant use of social media to bring awareness to recreation and wellness programs.
- Provide engaged leadership and supervision of Recreation Services program student staff including fitness staff and marketing staff as well as temporary/hourly employees.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees;
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations;
- Ensures employees have necessary resources;
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues;
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results;
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork.
- Encourage staff retention and professional growth
- Develop comprehensive training programs for student fitness and marketing staff teams. Create and deliver training to ensure a world class program experience.
- Provide student leadership opportunities
- Holds effective staff meetings frequently and provides information regarding policy changes, recreation, and fitness and marketing programs.
- Development and oversight of operating budgets; Provide strategic analysis of Recreation budget areas of fitness, health promotions and marketing, ensuring operations are managed efficiently; Monitor program area budgets and ensure adherence to financial deadlines and guidelines; Manage revenue collection
- Administrative responsibility of departmental software solutions (Fusion) which includes assigning user and fitness and web access.
- Provide leadership and vision as member of Recreation Team; proactively contribute to strategic planning for all aspects of Recreation
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration Sports Management, Physical Education, Student Personnel Administration, or related field OR any combination of education and experience which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience developing, implementing, managing and evaluating programs and/or services.
- Excellent customer service skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of groups.
- Excellent conflict resolution, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Master's Degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration, Sports Management, Physical Education, Student Development Administration, or related field.
- Budget management experience, including forecasting/preparation.
- Experience developing short and long-range plans for financial and facility improvements.
- Strong entrepreneurial skills and demonstrated ability to maximize revenue through appropriate design, development, staffing, and marketing.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Direct experience working in the field of recreation.
- Certifications and professional development related to this position.
- Experience using Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) email, and facility management software (Class Software).
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Involves combination of office/computer work settings, as well as physical presence in and around recreational facilities. It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands of remaining at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements. Some stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying or moving of objects and other movements may be required. Evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be expected based on changing needs, requirements, deadlines, and budgetary constraints. This position may be required to spend time outdoors and lift up to 50lbs with assistance.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: June 2, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Michael Montgomery
Title: Assistant Director of Operations
Phone: (509) 963-3556
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.