Central Washington University
To apply for a job at Central Washington University, please go to careers.cwu.edu. Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID 1419
Full/Part Time Full-Time
Administer and implement a comprehensive, campus-wide Intramural Sports program including leagues and tournaments comprised of gender specific, co-ed, recreational, and competitive programs. Train, schedule, and supervise student staff to accomplish program goals and to manage facilities, both indoor and outdoor. Implement and review program goals, objectives, policies, and procedures. Assist and support budget planning, monitor expenses, as well as assess, promote, and market program offerings. Serve as the department liaison and primary contact for departmental and campus-wide Special Events throughout the year. These events will promote Recreation programs and build relationships with our campus clientele. Assist with Sport Clubs, Camp C-Woo and special group event rentals of the Recreation Center.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and administer the participant registration process for approximately 1,200 students per quarter for an Intramural Sports (IM Sports) program, which offers 10 to 15 sport leagues per quarter as well as one-time tournaments, & special events.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate student personnel, including site supervisors and game officials. Supervise approximately 40 student employees who may each work between 9-20 hours per week. Responsible to schedule work hours to ensure all services can be adequately delivered to our campus clientele. Monitor and evaluate intramural events while in progress and be available during the hours of IM Sports competition to provide professional guidance for the IM Sports staff. Transport sports equipment to applicable athletic fields as necessary.
- Assist with the supervision of Sport clubs (i.e. purchasing of equipment, travel arrangements, and advising).
- Assist with coordinating large special events and sport club events (college rodeo, national archery tournament, cycling races, AAU tournaments, club fair, etc.)
- Represent the Recreation Department as a member of campus-wide event planning committees, including, but not limited to: Discover!, New Student Orientations, Wildcat Welcome Weekend, Homecoming, Parent's and Family Weekend, Student Appreciation Day, etc.
- Lead and coordinate with other university recreation personnel to implement a variety of department-sponsored special events (ie. National Recreational Sports & Fitness Day, National Girls & Women in Sports Day, Fitness Challenge, etc.)
- Collaborate with both on- and off-campus entities to advance the programs and image of University Recreation, Campus Life, Student Affairs, and Central Washington University.
- Assist with creating marketing strategies for programs, which incorporates providing current website and social media content. Present, market, and promote the role of IM Sports to various groups (i.e. prospective students, orientation sessions, campus residents, campus clubs, administration, etc.)
- Assist with strategic planning, including goals, objectives, and action plans. Complete written assessments with appropriate documentation at the completion of each IM season/special event.
- Influence and recommend budget planning and justification. Is the responsible signatory authority for the day-to-day management of the IM Sports Budget, including the student payroll expenses and purchase and inventory of equipment and supplies. Assist in developing, reviewing, and enforcing of department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education
- Experience in Physical Education or Recreation
- One year of significant responsibility for program planning and administration
- Experience in sports officiating and officials development
- Risk management knowledge and experience as it relates to recreational/athletic events
- Valid Driver's License
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- CPR & First Aid training must be completed within 30 days of hire
- Must attend the University van driver-training course and pass the exam within the first 3 months of employment
- Master's Degree in relevant field
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of rules of play for flag football, soccer, volleyball, basketball, softball, dodgeball, badminton, tennis, and/or racquetball
- Desired interest in experiential education and comfort with technical skills necessary to lead challenge course experiences
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Commitment to individual student development
- Experience working with League Scheduling Software, basic word processing, and spreadsheets (MS Office)
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Involves combination of office/computer work settings, as well as physical presence in and around campus recreational facilities. It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands of remaining at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods, using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements. Some stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying or moving of objects and other movements may be required. Evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be expected based on changing needs, requirements, deadlines, and budgetary constraints. This position may be required to spend time outdoors and lift up to 50lbs with assistance.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: June 2, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Rusty Vineyard
Title: Director of Recreation
Phone: (509) 963-3557
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.