NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Surgical Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate Under the direction of a licensed professional nurse can scrub on all surgical procedures in the Operating Room, and assist the physician in procedural areas
- Participates in quality improvement programs and activities that promote patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction. Identifies factors that contribute to patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction. Participates in use of feedback from patient satisfaction surveys to improve the delivery of patient care. Participates in programs/activities to promote satisfaction of staff, patient, families and other disciplines.
- Participates in clinical activities to foster evidence based practice. Utilizes findings from current literature in patient care activities. Participates in clinical presentation that is well researched and has a foundation that is evidence based. Participates in unit/service specific data collection and/or research projects. Completes CQI report when variances from plan are identified. Participates in Root cause analysis process for individual patient type.
- Maintains awareness of current research applicable to patient care. Incorporates new practices identified in patient care standards into plan of care. Applies knowledge of newly published standards of care.
- Participates in unit based quality and performance improvement program consistent with service and departmental program. Participates in unit/service specific performance improvement projects. Assists in unit based data collection for defined activities. Monitors use of automated supply (machines/omnicells) turnover times, delays as per related process standards for select patient population. Assists with change projects and activities to improve performance outcomes. Assists in the evaluation of outcomes of practice changes.
- Utilizes resources to meet individual learning needs. Utilizes resource materials available in the medical center i.e. Standards, Procedure Preferences. Guides staff to use clinical resources to enhance knowledge for patient care delivery. Seeks opportunities for learning. Seizes opportunity for learning experiences during slower times for oneself or to be shared with others. Models use of experts in nursing and other disciplines to promote learning.
- Serves as a support and resource for other staff and students. Participates in the orientation of new staff to the scrub role intraoperatively. Takes initiative to and willingly provides assistance to other staff members, new staff and students with teaching experiences for an individual patient. Shares knowledge and guides students and new staff toachieve established goals of care. While in the scrub position works with less experienced or less familiar staff members to develop their ability to make safe judgments relative to patients. Serves as a beginning mentor and/or preceptor for staff and/or students. Demonstrates ability to perform in role of back up scrub for a limited patient population. Answers questions and demonstrates appropriate use of resources when in the scrub role of mentor/preceptor/resource. Active participant in Clinical Preceptor program. Participates in peer review process by providing feedback as requested. Can interact with respect and in a positive manner.
- Engages in self assessment and participates in activities to promote own professional growth and development. Assesses personal learning needs to enhance performance with guidance from nursing leadership. Independently seeks out new clinical experiences and communicates to leadership. Utilizes information from review of adverse or potentially adverse events for learning and professional growth. Participates in selected programs identified in own professional development plan. Is objective in assessing ones own weaknesses and takes initiative to overcome them. Identifies as part of portfolio, self assessment, goal development and ongoing communication with leadership. Achieves reviously established personal and professional development goals. Accepts constructive criticism and seeks out ways for a positive change in behavior. Participates in Hospital committees.
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge and competence to fulfill responsibilities. Fulfills annual mandatory education program requirements. As per ST certification maintenance, service competencies and departmental knowledge and skills. Attends staff development, internal and external offerings appropriate for increasing clinical competence. Obtains/Maintains Certification. Member of organization.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies. Responds to changes in patient care and professional nursing standards in patient care activities. Reviews standards manual. Participates in staff/service presentation using evidence based practice. Presents to staff a brief update on approved conferences attended. Demonstrates awareness of JCAHO, DOH, and CARF, standards where applicable, pertinent to unit.
- Collaborates with members of the interdisciplinary team and promotes collegial relationships. Develops effective working relationships with staff on unit and other departments. Identifies interpersonal problems and initiates steps to resolve them. Is attentive to the needs of the patients environment by keeping unnecessary talk to a minimum. Gives a thorough oral and verbal report to RN Circulator, relief scrub person, leadership concerning count, equipment, instrumentation, or outcomes. Identifies variances with handoff/relief report. Accurately contributes towards perioperative data sheets ie.counts, specimens.
- Participates in coordination of unit activities to provide care in a healing, humane and caring environment. Communicates effectively with patients, families, visitors and all members of the interdisciplinary team. Identifies oneself as a member, by title, of the team and begins to establish professional relationships with other disciplines. Demonstrates professional responsibilities and accountabilities as a team member. Responds to change and promotes improvement processes for unit activity. Demonstrates awareness of needs of colleagues as they provide care to other patients on the clinical unit. Identifies staffing and patient needs beyond current shift. Per procedure gives complete report to another staff member, i.e. relief report/hand-off.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department, and service line. Participates in the development of the goals and objectives of the unit consistent with the overall departments of nursing, clinical department and service line. Provides privacy and confidentiality for patients and hospital personnel. Participates in unit/service based meetings. Recognizes the importance of cost effectiveness in delivery of patient care. Reports unexpected events and outcomes to RN staff/leadership in a timely fashion. Accepts responsibilities and demonstrates accountability for own actions.
- Cultural Competencies - Recognizes that all patients may not share the values and practices of the US health system. Develops questions and identifies resources to learn about patients values, beliefs and practices. Views patients as well as other employees as individuals with unique values, beliefs and practices. Identifies common health related views of the major cultural and religious groups served. Communicates with each patient and family in a culturally appropriate way.
- Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care activities. Provides care in a manner that demonstrates knowledge of physical, behavioral and emotional characteristics typical for the age group. Recognizes that patients of various ages or developmental stages react differently to same situations and modifies approaches accordingly. Identifies safety hazards and unsafe situations for the age group and addresses them appropriately. Prepares and administers medications with consideration of age-specific doses and methods of administration. Uses communication techniques that are age-appropriate. Adapts equipment used in care to age and size of patient. Identifies and reports sign of abuse or neglect.
- Evaluates the patient's progress toward attainment of expected outcomes. Communicates the patient's progress toward attainment of expected outcomes. Communicates variance to RN Circulator, leadership, Surgical Team that would impact on patient care outcomes i.e. surgical site, count. Communicates revisions in plan of care to RN Circulator identified by surgical team intraoperative, i.e. specimen, approach, implant.
- Implements interventions identified in the plan of care. Intervenes in a manner that is consistent with the established plan of care. Brings to attention of RN Circulator/leadership any discrepancies for an individual patient, i.e. equipment/instrumentation availability. Prioritizes and organizes interventions. Has well organized environment of care, i.e. mayo stand and back table. Implements interventions in a safe, timely and appropriate manner. Adheres to time management principles in communicating variances in count, aseptic technique, instrumentation to RN circulator, leadership, surgical team as appropriate.
- Provides RN Circulator/Surgical Team updating of information that reflects the ability to prioritize and organize care, ie count procedure, time out, instrumentation needs, aseptic technique. Informs RN circulator of care needs that reflect a knowledge of NYUHC Patient and Nursing Care Standards, evidence based practice and principles of safety. Gathers needed supplies, equipment prior to provision of care based on available resources, i.e. procedure preference card and shares outstanding needs with the RN Circulator. Demonstrates knowledge of use, care and maintenance of equipment for a service. Utilizes principles of universal precautions in all situations. Safeguards the patient by monitoring aseptic technique of all members of the team. Maintains careful control over needles sponges, blades, instruments, etc. during and after the case. In Labor and Delivery ensures specimens are appropriately labeled and placed in appropriate locations for pick up.
- Participates in the plan of care that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes. Follows a plan of care that is individualized to the patient's condition or needs as directed by the RN Circulator, leadership. Work is accomplished in a timely fashion i.e. turnover time decreased to service accepted standard. Provides necessary control of supplies, implants, instrumentation, and equipment for patient perioperatively. Demonstrates competency for procedural needs, while in scrub position. Provides timely information to RN circulator/ leadership to collaborate and develop good case management techniques for a patient resulting in preventing delays in patient flow.
- CLINICAL-Supports the Surgical Team in the achievement of expected outcomes individualized to the patient. Supports outcomes from actual or potential diagnoses. Can scrub independently and assist the primary RN circulator on more complex procedures of a particular service. Assists with peri-operative safe outcomes with the interdisciplinary team as appropriate. Assists with preparation of patient i.e. Induction of anesthesia, positioning, skin prep & draping. Supports achievement in identified outcomes that provide direction for continuity of care. Communicates to nursing, leadership or surgical team utilizing time management skills, patient care needs, relative to but not limited to equipment.
- CLINICAL-Communicates assessment data to nursing/surgical team. Communicates assessment data to nursing circulator/leadership to provide patient care needs in a timely fashion. Individualizes patient safety initiatives, as appropriate, with the interdisciplinary team, i.e. counts, break in aseptic technique. Utilizes patient diagnoses, procedure, position to determine the plan of care. i.e.Bariatric Instrumentation. Accepts responsibilities as assigned and is accountable for delegated work responsibilities. Initiates time out process for review of site marking with active team participation.
- CLINICAL-Collects patient healthcare data systematically and on an ongoing basis using appropriate assessment techniques and instrumentsContributes towards the collection of data systematically and on an ongoing basis. Takes initiative to make recommendations to leadership for new and updates for Physician preference cards timely and accurately for a patient/physician.
To qualify you must have a Certified by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Graduate of approved accredited school/Program of Surgical Technology.
Required Licenses: Cert Surgical Technologist
One year experience as a Certified Surgical Technologist in a large complex Operating Room, preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.