NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Secretary II.
In this role, the successful candidate under general supervision, performs secretarial studies that are complex in nature and require considerable judgment
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Collects and compiles data, statistics, and other materials for reports and/or budgets. Prepares the requested data thoroughly and accurately.Obtains information within the time frame specified by the supervisor.Utilizes appropriate sources and assembles data in accordance with instructions.
- Greets, directs, and responds to the needs and requests of the staff, patients, and general public for the section/department. Greets patients and visitors in a courteous manner upon arrival to PAT, identifies self and role in department. Directs patients to appropriate location &/or care giver. Listens and answers patients questions, seeks assistances when needed. Is sensitive to the needs of patients, visitors, and staff. Recognizes problems/concerns and seeks solutions as appropriate. Has the ability to determine when a problem should be referred to nursing leadership. Answers telephones and inquiries promptly and courteously; identifies the department and self when answering the phone, asks for permission prior to putting the caller on hold. Directs telephone calls and visitors appropriately based on content of inquiry. Obtains information, answers questions, and resolves routine problems in an appropriate manner. Takes messages accurately and completely.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of supplies for the area. Understands the use and purpose of departmental supplies.; Monitors supply par levels. Orders general supplies based on past practice or in accordance with the supervisors instructions; obtains supervisors approval on all orders. Adheres to budgetary restrictions while satisfying office/lab demands; advises the supervisor of any unusual request/need, or financial constraint.
- Assists in the training of office personnel for the area and seeks additional areas of learning for growth. Explains work procedures and methods clearly and accurately. Orients new personnel to pertinent Medical Center and departmental procedures. Volunteers assistance to others when appropriate. Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn more skills/functions
- Accurately schedules patient appointments in EPIC. Schedules appointments carefully, adhering to department scheduling guidelines. Verify medical record number, patient name, and date of birth to ensure correct patient. Notifies Medical Records and surgeons offices with any patient scheduling inconsistencies. Secures all pertinent patient information and properly enters information into EPIC. Accepts appointments requests from surgical offices and patients. Requests interpreting services in appropriate time frame. Alerts appropriate department/personnel to special requests/needs for patients. Notifies nursing leadership of any scheduling changes/challenges. Maintains schedule free of conflict/challenges, after discussion with nursing leadership
- Effectively schedules or arranges events, activities, and appointments. Writes the letter using correct grammar and format. Ensure the correspondence meets content requirements and adheres to the instructions and guidelines given by the supervisor. Completes and sends out correspondence promptly. Picks up and distributes the mail accordingly. Communicates via email professionally and respectfully
- Composes, prepares, and edits routine correspondence and prepares patient information for chart review Type letters, lists, and records neatly and accurately within time/deadline specified by supervisor. Files, faxes, scans, and/or Xeroxes materials as needed. Proofreads, edits, and properly formats the materials typed according to content of material. Is able to efficiently utilize the PCs potential. Enters, stores, and retrieves worksheet and other information correctly according to the machines operational instructions correctlyv. Obtains and prepare PHI according to departmental guidelines, adhering to HIPAA guidelines. Ability to retrieve and analyze data and produce reports. Ability to research and interpret guidelines for the initiation and preparation of various administrative forms for chart review process
To qualify you must have a High School graduate required, advanced business training is preferred. Three years of responsible secretarial experience. Typing (60 wpm) and steno (80 wpm) or Dictaphone required. Knowledge of medical terminology, Microsoft Office and Excel as needed. Good communication skills
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.