The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a MSW Social Worker in the Social Work Services Department. To qualify a Masters Degree in Social Work or it's equivalent (e.g. a higher degree from a social work program that is registered by the Department as licensure qualifying as accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) or determined by the Department to be substantially equivalent to a registered program.) Licensed Master Social Work (LMSW) licensure or a New York State Education Department - - issued limited permit. Most complete coursework or training in in the identification and reporting child abuse in accordance with Section 6507 (3)(a) of the Education Law.
In this role, the successful candidate under the supervision of a Social Work Supervisor or Director, provides psychosocial assessment and counseling services, including discharge planning to patients as assigned by the Department of Social Work/Care Management and under Social Work supervision. Provides information and education to patients and family pertinent to patient needs and discharge plan. Clinical supervision of social work interns needed. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attendance and Additional Performance Standards.Demonstrates reliability by maintaining a good attendance/punctuality record. Adheres to departmental guidelines regarding use of and proper notification in connection with time off. Adheres to Employee Health requirements for an annual health assessment, including TB screening and proof of all required immunizations. Maintains a professional appearance; wears identification badge at all times while at the Medical Center.
- Demonstrates skill in presentation of psychosocial information in interdisciplinary rounds, meetings and Rusk evaluation conference. Participates actively and effectively in the presentation of psychosocial information and discharge planning at rounds and evaluation conferences and meetings. Demonstrates organization, initiative and creativity when presenting material for in-services. Contributes to staff and departmental development by serving regularly and productively on staff committees or in hospital committees.
- Demonstrates knowledge of resources and procedures related to discharge planning. Identifies and mobilizes community resources appropriate for implementation of discharge plan. Coordinates with Discharge Planning Unit and other services in hospital and community.
- Performs clinical duties in an independent manner with appropriate use of supervision. Shares pertinent information with members of the interdisciplinary team. Perceives the needs of the service unit and the department and offers suggestions or recommendations for positive changeOrganizes work to achieve efficiency and complete assignments.Demonstrates flexibility in adapting to change and shifting priorities and demands. Maintains accessibility through telephone or beeper, during workday and takes responsibility for checking and following up all incoming messages and written communications.
- Documents all social work activities in a timely manner according to department protocols. Maintains charting on HIS system or outpatient records in a timely manner. Recordings are clear, legible and concise. Documents assessment of cultural and spiritual needs. Contributes to patient/family education and documents accordingly. For Rusk, enters admitting and discharge FIM data in a timely manner and documents barriers to life participation.
- Implements plan for psychosocial assessments and evaluations as required. Uses appropriate interventions according to patient/family dynamics and needs considering a variety of approaches.Develops and conducts group programs as appropriate to assigned service.Develops a therapeutic and supportive relationship with the patient and family and maintains a proper perspective between personal and professional matters. Uses professional judgment and creativity in seeking and presenting alternative or innovative solutions to problems encountered in delivery of social work services. Provides information and education to patient/family pertinent to patient needs and discharge plan.
- Provides timely and effective psychosocial assessments and evaluations. Uses clinical knowledge of psychosocial dynamics and interviewing techniques to gather social history, define problems and develop treatment plan. Coordinates interdisciplinary information and recommendations into social work treatment plan. Establishes post-hospital/discharge plan.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.