This position is responsible for assisting with Medicaid and charity care application procedures, educating patients of their financial liabilities, and developing patient payment arrangements for patient liabilities. The Financial Counselor services one or more hospital facilities and reports to the entity-specific Manager – Onsite Patient Access Services.
- Screen patients for eligibility for other potential funding sources when a patient is not able to meet his or her liability related to their service.
- Identify patients that qualify for Medicaid and initiate the application process.
- Initiate financial assistance application and assess patients for Charity Care eligibility.
- Coordinate with Patient Service Center to ensure financial clearance of in-house patients.
- Coordinate with Patient Service Center to ensure appropriate education of financial clearance responsibilities for Labor & Delivery patients.
- Develop patient payment plan for self pay applicants and assist with financial arrangement for patient care encounters.
- Coordinate efforts within the Patient Access department to determine and educate the patient of their financial liabilities, collect any amounts owed, and oversee the financial investigation to identify payment sources and possible alternatives.
- Work directly with medical staff, nursing, ancillary departments, insurance carriers and other external professionals to assist families in obtaining healthcare and financial services.
- Assist patients with onsite customer service functions (e.g., billing, medical record, and collection inquiries) by coordinating with other patient business services functions and departments.
- Check out patient at discharge to ensure all proper information has been obtained and patient is clinically and financially cleared; perform document imaging when necessary.
- Perform cashiering functions when necessary.
- Coordinate discharge processing with On-site staff, Case Management and Clinicians.
- Requires High School diploma or equivalent
- Exceptional communications and customer service skills.
- Possess understanding of and follows regulations outlined by state, federal, and third-party coverage procedures.
- Experience with Medicaid and charity care application process.
SSM Health - System Office –
SSM Health is one of the largest Catholic health systems in the country and is dedicated to quality and compassionate care for anyone in need, regardless of ability to pay. Based in St. Louis, where its System Office is located, SSM Health operates 20 hospitals in Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma. We provide care in various settings: outpatient sites, physician offices, a pharmacy benefit company, an insurance plan, hospitals, nursing homes, home care, hospice, telehealth and a technology company.Our Mission: Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God.