The Resident Director (RD) is responsible for maintaining an atmosphere in the residence facility that supports the purposes of Vanguard University of Southern California. The RD’s primary responsibility is to facilitate co-curricular programming which provides educational opportunities for the personal, social, and spiritual development of resident students. Responsibilities include the administration and assessment of programs, student conduct, mentoring, and supervision of the residence hall. The RD will coordinate the efforts of students and Residence Life Staff with VUSC Student Affairs to create an environment where life, faith and learning come together. The RD reports to the Director of Residence Life (DRL).
- Work with the Residence Life team to fulfill the goals and objectives of all Residence Life programs.
- Mentor and invest in students to promote accountability and encourage personal and spiritual growth.
- Train, mentor, evaluate, and assist in the selection of the student Resident Assistants.
- Supervise RAs individually and in weekly staff meetings.
- Develop RA training in collaboration with RD team, and conduct both ongoing and semester RA training.
- Provide guidance for personal and professional development of RA staff.
- Attend all departmental and Student Life staff meetings, professional development opportunities, and retreats, including student leadership and RA retreats.
- Maintain a high level of student contact and availability to resident students.
- Provide appropriate information and referrals to the DRL, Academic Resources, Career Center, Counseling Center, Registrar, etc.
- Plan and facilitate programs that offer developmentally appropriate conversations which promote educational, social, personal and spiritual growth for resident students.
- Evaluate and assess the effectiveness of programs and quality of students’ experiences.
- Support Student Affairs staff in the development of all-campus educational and special interest programs.
- Administer University student policy and regulations related to residence hall operations.
- Provide leadership which promotes and supports an atmosphere of academic achievement within the residence hall.
- Work with the Housing Coordinator to oversee the housing check-in and check-out processes, distribution of building information, maintenance of appropriate signage, and approve room changes.
- Communicate facility needs and custodial concerns to the Housing Coordinator as a liaison with the Facilities department and follow-up on the progress.
- Respond to all emergencies and supervise the initial crisis situation and intervention within the residence hall.
- Participate in the on-duty rotation providing 24-hour emergency response year-round.
- Assist Housing Coordinator with Summer Conferencing as assigned.
Student Conduct Administration
- Maintain community behavioral standards by participating in the conduct process for resident students.
- Participate in the Student Care Committee and help to create appropriate and developmental student discipline contracts under the direction of the Director of Residence Life.
- Monitor and evaluate student discipline contracts as assigned by the DRL.
- Create, monitor, implement, and evaluate programs designed to help students develop through the discipline process including but not limited to those focused on alcohol prevention education, developing healthy sexuality, and healthy relationships.
- Mediate conflict between residents as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Identify risks to the organization within the department and discuss risk reduction options with immediate supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.