NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Secretary II.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing basic support services for CMC operations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization's mission and core values and incorporates them while providing reception assistance (i.e. greets patients, answer calls, direct requests for assistance to proper individual).
- Greets and screens telephone calls in pleasant and a professional manner; handles heavy call volume and directs caller to appropriate person or area. Takes messages, escalate patient issues appropriately, and transfers calls appropriately.
- Schedules appointments for visits and procedures deriving from multiple sources including telephone, email and in person requests. Schedule new patient evaluations, post -op evaluations, multiple follow up visits, and special procedures when applicable. Reschedule and cancel appointments as requested by patient or provider. Email appointment notifications and confirm appointments via email and telephone.
- Gather all patient demographic related data and materials from patients and/or their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member/group #s, etc.), takes their picture and asks them to use Patient Secure. On subsequent visits, asks them to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits.
- Follow up with patients and/or their representatives, physician offices, etc. to gather missing data and materials in order to complete the intake process.
- Collect and ask patients to sign patient related documents including HIPAA, MSPQ, ABN, etc. Scan all necessary documents (insurance cards, lab requisitions, etc.) into the intake system accurately.
- Properly QA's all intake-related data and materials for completeness including MY Chart and Provider Questionnaires. Monitors intake work queue for timely intake completion.
- Refers patients who have a question regarding insurance coverage or are in need of counsel on financial matters based on established criteria (e.g., denial of electronic insurance eligibility, ABN questions/concerns, questions regarding insurance or pay-or restrictions, making payment, multi plan determinations, any and all issues/questions/concerns relating to financial matters) to the Business Associate or Billing Coordinator
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction. Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions. Writes materials clearly and legibly. Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing and scanning in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Maintains workload statistics and other data for departmental records.
- Assists section in completion of special reports, projects and activities. May assist, provide guidance and/or train other less senior staff with completing secretarial duties.
- Performs other related duties as needed by providers and supervisors.
- High School diploma
- Three years of relevant medical clerical experience.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Background in computer literacy preferred. Light, accurate keyboarding skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills required.
Intermediate knowledge of computer-based scheduling and appointment programs strongly preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.