NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate sssists with studies examining mechanisms underlying obesity and diabetic complications. Studies involve work with mice and with a human subject materials. Procures materials from mice and human subjects and transports the material in a temperature-appropriate manner. Experiments include: in vitro cell culture assays to assess gene and protein expression and functional endpoints, preparation of mRNA and protein lysates, performance of assays such as ELISAs, performance of pathological analysis of tissues, and the performance of other biochemical/molecular analyses required for the studies. Maintains careful records of the data procured from each sample / subject and enter all obtained data into database.
- Sample collection: Retrieve mouse samples from mice under study in the laboratory and from human subject samples from various clinics and hospital settings. Work with the laboratory scientists or clinical coordinators to arrange the procurement of tissue from colleagues in a timely manner. Arrange for appropriate storage. Ships samples as needed to collaborators
- Process samples, including preparation of genomic DNA, mRNA or protein lysates from tissue samples and handling and preparation of samples for performance of RNA-sequencing analyses, real-time quantitative PCR, ELISA, Western blotting and other molecular, biochemical or pathology techniques required for the full scale analysis of metabolic tissues. Flow cytometry and fluorescence activated cell sorting expertise is essential.
- Keep careful records of all material procurement and analyses in the databases for coordination across the entire research team. Maintains complete and accurate record of all laboratory procedures.
- Laboratory duties such as ordering of supplies and preparation and shipment of materials to distinct collaborators.
- May assist with updating tracking logs and patient progress through the study as well as general database cleaning and management.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Life Sciences or a related field with one year of experience.
Performing in vivo studies in mouse models to assess various levels of metabolic function
Preparation of mRNA or protein lysates from tissue samples and handling and preparation of samples for performance of RNA-sequencing analyses, real-time quantitative PCR, ELISA, Western blotting and other molecular and biochemical techniques or pathology techniques required for the full scale analysis of metabolic tissues.
Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills.
Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook. Familiar with Internet applications.
Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management and must work and communicate effectively with both internal and external collaborators.
Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.