NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Relations Specialist.
In this role, the successful candidate The Patient Relations Specialist serves as an Ombudsman for our patients and family members,advocates for patients and family members through consistent application of patient rights andadvocacy, and obtains solutions to problems and concerns. This position functions as the mechanismfor investigating and responding to patient complaints and grievances that may involve hospital ormedical staff. They guide leaders and staff in gaining awareness of patients perceptions of the hospitalexperience and implements effective strategies to improve patient perception of care and reducecomplaints
- Performs all the functions of a Patient Relations Representative.
- Assists in the oversight, coordination and monitoring of service recovery efforts forspecific areas or uses (i.e. service recovery during construction).
- Follows up on referrals from administration, leadership, medical staff, and volunteerpatient representatives regarding the patients perception of care or services.
- Educates patients and patient families about the rights of patients in accordance withFederal, State and Regulatory agencies.
- Refers patients, families and visitors to appropriate services and resources, and respondspersonally with innovative solutions when other alternatives are not available.
- Provides counseling and education related to a patients right to develop an AdvanceDirective and assists patients in executing an Advance Directive.
- Provides notary services for patients upon request, in accordance with hospital policies.
- Works independently to manage complaint cases from initial contact, through appropriatedocumentation, investigation, resolution, and response to the patient or family member,within the established standards and policies, including referrals to and from RiskManagement.
- Educates hospital staff about perceptions and concerns expressed by patients.
- Acts as a resource to all hospital staff, medical staff and vendors and assists in identifyingimprovement opportunities that can be used to increase satisfaction and decreasedissatisfaction with the customer (both external and internal) and build trust within theorganization
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care thatis specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired,etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primarycaregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Investigates and facilitates resolution of quality of care concerns/complaints/grievancesfor all patients and families/visitors by engaging with their healthcare providers. Workscollaboratively with the healthcare team in clarifying issues, and promoting prompt andcaring resolution of patient/family concerns.
- Leads, develops and executes initiatives designed to improve the patients experienceincluding implementation of best practices, in departments of primary coverage throughan active presence and visibility in the areas.
- Participates in and coordinates special projects related to patient satisfaction and thepatient experience. Some examples of areas in need of focused attention include readmissions,post-discharge phone calls, and HCAHPS initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree required. Master's Degree preferred.Word processing, typing, email and general computer skills.3-4 years working experience in similar area, i.e. customer service
Certification in Patient Advocacy or similar.Customer Service experience
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.