NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for coordinating scheduling for patients and clinical staff, integrating each partys needs for optimal results. Resolves a variety of problems and issues by acting as a liaison between patients and staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Confirms appointment dates and times with patients prior to their appointment. Facilitates patient care by providing information, resolving problems and assisting patients with issues outside the office if needed. Performs miscellaneous administrative duties and provides coverage as needed. Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office staff.
- Prepares charts as required: For new patients scheduled for consultation, prepares charts as indicated and provides to appropriate medical secretary. For follow up patients, updates charts with pertinent records.
- Notifies patients, Physician and Medical Secretary when 3rd party payor does not authorize scheduled services, so that determination can be made whether patient should be scheduled.
- Coordinates with Referring Physicians offices to facilitate referrals and authorizations for scheduled procedures prior to appointment date. Ensures that necessary referral and authorization information is received prior to the appointment date. Processes authorizations and referrals as needed.
- Contacts insurance companies as necessary to obtain needed pre-authorization information for needed services. Screens insurance while pre-registering each patient to ensure that the MD and facility participate. Effectively communicates referral and pre-certification requirements to patients. Properly refers patients to the Financial Counselor as needed.
- Answers phones and screens incoming calls. Accurately takes messages, provides information and/or redirects callers to the appropriate department in a timely manner.
- Conducts face-to-face or telephone interviews to effectively gather needed pre-registration data from patients and caregivers via telephone and in-person. Accurately enters information into all applicable systems in a timely manner.
- Schedules visits, treatments, outpatient procedures and hospital admissions for patients. Schedules meetings and time off for clinical staff. Updates staff with schedule changes. Utilizes applicable computer systems to schedule patients for needed services. Effectively communicates scheduled services and provides necessary information to patients and caregivers as necessary.
- Manages patient waiting area: takes note of wait times and notifies patients when treatment areas are ready for them.
- Greets patients/visitors coming into department. Provides a friendly greeting to all patients/visitors entering department; ensures cleanliness of patient waiting area; notifies housekeeping, as needed. Arrives patients, as directed, into applicable computer systems, and makes sure that patients are properly registered when they arrive in the department.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JCAHO and HIPPA) appropriate for position.
- Experience with scheduling in a medical office.
- Basic knowledge of health insurance types and payers.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferably oncology/hematology.
- Experience with medical office software and Microsoft Office.
- Highly organized, detail oriented.
- Demonstrates skill in communicating with patients, families, physicians, nurses, staff and peers with diplomacy and tact.
- Uses appropriate vocabulary and grammar when obtaining and conveying information in person, over the phone, in writing, and in electronically sent messages.
- Exercises skill in prioritizing assignments and multitasking in order to complete work in a timely manner when there are changes in workload, assignments, pressures of deadlines, competitive requirements and/or heavy workload and escalates when necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to work well with a team.
- Experience with insurance pre-certification and authorization process.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.