| POSITION DETAILSKingsborough Community College is accepting applications for a Communications Government Relations Director to build relationships with appropriate community, civic and governmental entities on behalf of the College. Reporting to the President's Chief of Staff, the Director is responsible for producing effective community outreach programs that enhance awareness and appreciation for Kingsborough Community College's mission, and developing and maintaining effective partnerships with governmental, business and community organizations, including government agencies.In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the responsibilities include but are not limited to:|
* Develop and implement a plan to support the College's communications, community, and public relations goals.
* Establish and implements short-and-long range goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures for the government relations support function; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement; may serve on University planning and policy making committees.
* Oversees and coordinates complex interactions with legislators, legislative staff, other local and state officials, staff of the New York congressional delegation, federal agency staff and other government officials/staff.
* Serves as key point of contact for neighboring businesses, institutions, residents and others in assigned area. Initiates and supports opportunities for them to be engaged in college/campus life, engages them in college/campus issues or changes affecting them, and addresses their concerns.
* Regularly attends meetings of neighborhood associations, chambers of commerce, city councils, and other key associations and partners in assigned area. Regularly represents the college at external partner events.
* Plans, develops, implements, administers and evaluates programs, activities and daily operations related to the governmental affairs support function.
* Works with local, regional and national officials and groups with respect to the University's involvement in research, strategic efforts and related activities.
* Maintains communications with University leadership, various organization units and constituency groups of the University, State and Federal agencies including the Legislature and the New York Congressional delegation, and lobbyists in order to provide effective support services.
* Participates in the development of college policies and procedures; serves on college planning and policy making committees.QUALIFICATIONSBachelor's Degree and eight years' related experience required.Preferred Qualifications:
* Knowledge of State and Federal government organization and legislative processes, including budget and appropriations processes.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
* Knowledge of bill enactment process and bill tracking systems.
* Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of internal and external organizations and constituencies.
* Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing implementing new strategies and procedures.
* Ability to develop, plan and implement short-and-long range goals.
* Knowledge of State and Federal government issues related to higher education.
* Ability to research legislative history and the status of pending legislation and to analyze pending and enacted legislation.
* Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
* Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
* Employee development and performance management skills.
* Knowledge of University budget processes and legislative request processes; skill in budget preparation and management.
* Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
* Effective written and oral communication skills.CUNY TITLE OVERVIEWDirects a program of communications and advocacy at Federal, State, Regional, and/or Borough levels on behalf of the College or Unit.
* Sets overall strategy to advance College or Unit programs
* Prepares and presents positions on imperatives impacting the College/Unit and its broader constituencies
* Monitors and coordinates legislative initiatives with potential impact
* Represents the College/Unit with external governmental organizations
* Serves as spokesperson for College legislative affairs and is the primary contact for legislative issues
* Identifies and cultivates relationships with appropriate governmental entities, seeking collaborations to meet common objectives
* Performs related duties as assigned.Job Title Name: Communications Government Relations DirectorCUNY TITLEHigher Education OfficerFLSAExemptCOMPENSATION AND BENEFITS$97,629 - $108,683CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.HOW TO APPLYVisit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 16813 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.CLOSING DATERevised -June 21, 2017JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Kingsborough Community College*Job Title:
* Communications Government Relations Director*Job ID:
* 16813*Full/Part Time: