| GENERAL DUTIESI.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.htmlCONTRACT TITLEComputer Systems ManagerFLSAExemptCAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATIONReporting to the Chief Information Officer/Assistant Vice President of IT (CIO/AVP), the Director of the IT Project Management Office and Deputy Chief Information Officer (DCIO) will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations and strategic projects of one or more IT units towards advancing the educational mission of the College. The DCIO is a trusted and experienced advisor to the CIO/AVP and serves as a senior leader in the IT organization, participating in strategic planning, outcomes planning and assessment and other operational management functions such as in the areas of infrastructure, telecommunications, web/application development, database management, disaster recovery, information security, service desk, classroom technology support, business intelligence and multimedia services.The DCIO will be expected to establish and manage an IT Project Management Office to standardize on best practices in a matrix environment to ensure the progress of campus priorities which are increasingly dependent on the effective and efficient integration of technology across all divisional and departmental objectives. The successful candidate will have a 'customer first' approach to managing operations and recommending solutions for the Students, Faculty, Staff, Administration and the Community which the College serves, while being adept at balancing and prioritizing initiatives and tasks based on institutional requirements and resource constraints while managing risk. S/he will be comfortable with and embrace a collaborative philosophy and the need to obtain input from, and communicate with, the various constituent groups and serve as a liaison for IT on broader campus-wide initiatives.The DCIO will support the CIO/AVP on both Campus and CUNY initiatives and will serve as the primary decision maker in the absence of the CIO/AVP. S/he will be expected to provide leadership, supervision, mentoring and performance appraisals of full-time and part-time staff. S/he will coordinate projects with external constituents such as vendors and contractors' including the development of Statements of Work/RFP's, reviewing vendor submissions, managing budgets and overall quality control.The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience leading people and change by building coalitions, be results driven and have strong business acumen which is transferrable to a higher education environment.Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:|
* Reviews and develops IT Policies and Procedures for consideration and implementation by the CIO/AVP.
* Coordinates with other Directors and managers/supervisors to review operations, recommend opportunities for improvement and monitor progress.
* Develops formalized project plans using industry standard solutions to better coordinate and manage IT projects.
* Assists the CIO/AVP in developing annual and long-term plans and associated budgets while coordinating with the Budget and Procurement offices for purchase needs.
* Evaluates existing business practices in consultation with various campus units and propose solutions to assist with improving efficiencies through innovative approaches.
* Works closely with the Office of Educational Technology and Library to continuously evaluate changing demands and propose potential solutions.
* Participates in regular meetings with direct reports as well as with IT management to review status, performance and other topics as required.
* Liaises with key technology teams at CUNY CIS and other campuses.
* Performs hands-on tasks when required.
* Participates on campus and CUNY committees.
* Participates in various compliance, discovery and audit activities pertaining to IT or the campus.
* Serves as the Project Manager on numerous simultaneous projects while managing expectations and setting high standards for project delivery.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS1. Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.2. Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.OTHER QUALIFICATIONSThe following qualifications are preferred:
* Master's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology with a current PMP/ITIL certification highly preferred
* Progressively responsible experience in the management, development and implementation of computing systems
* Experience managing IT teams of 10 or more individuals in a service-oriented organization, including managing conflict and using team motivational techniques in diverse environments
* Experience formally managing multiple projects using PMBOK principles while managing a budget of at least $25,000 per major project and experience with contract and vendor negotiation
* Strong working knowledge of both COTS and custom application development/database management best practices such as SDLC and/or Agile
* Strong working knowledge of Windows servers and desktops, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, software applications, Cisco networking and unified communications, wireless infrastructure, information security, IT disaster recovery, virtual desktop computing (Citrix), Storage Area Networks (EMC), network monitoring/management tools (e.g. Solarwinds)
* Experience with business process modeling, requirements analysis and process improvement
* Experience with PeopleSoft, Course Management Systems (Blackboard), Sharepoint and Web Content Management Systems
* Ability to lead and participate effectively as a member of collaborative teams
* Knowledge of current trends in information technology
* Experience with data warehouse development/business intelligence/data analysis and reporting solutions
* Experience in a higher education environment a plus, particularly evaluating and deploying technology for use by students and faculty within and outside the classroom
* Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills while establishing strong working relationships with various constituent groups
* Effective problem solving skills and the ability to think creatively but ethically for solutions to problems
* Availability to resolve time sensitive and critical issues as neededCOMPENSATIONSalary commensurate with education and experience up to a maximum of $120,000.BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYApplicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Listings."Please attach resume, cover letter, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.CLOSING DATEOpen until filled with review of resumes to begin 4/13/17.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Hostos Community College*Job Title:
* Deputy Chief Information Officer (IT Computer Systems Manager, Level 4)*Job ID:
* 16504*Full/Part Time: