About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Director of Business Operations provides leadership for the budgetary and human resource operations for the Chemistry department. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Managing the daily operations of the Business Services Center including the supervision of the center's administrative, financial, and support staff.
- Providing oversight for the fiscal operations of the Chemistry Department including budget development, communication, implementation and evaluation; salary and operating budget adjustments; management of end-of-year balances and carryover; management of pooled salaries and position allocations; allocation of student assistantships; management of pooled resources under the Department head’s direction; oversight of contracts, grants, and their related cost sharing commitments and overhead allocations; review and approval of orders and purchases; review and approval of travel reimbursements and wage payroll; and management of fixed assets.
- Serve as fiscal and budgetary coordinator for centralized budgets in the department, including being the point of contact and providing monthly financial budget to actual reporting.
- Oversee and manage monthly reconciliations; purchasing and accounts payable; accounts receivable; processing of travel authorizations and reimbursements; payroll reconciliation; and human resource transactions.
- Other responsibilities may include researching and solving problems and ensuring a high level of customer service, and scheduling training as needed for department usage of university systems, and assisting in management analysis and planning for a variety of single issue and on-going projects.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Knowledge of principles of financial, budget, and business operations planning and control.
- Advanced skills in using spreadsheets and data management software.
- Significant experience in finance and administration in higher education.
- Working knowledge of state and federal compliance policies, and human resources procedures.
- Experience in a supervisory role.
- Excellent analytical, critical-thinking, strategic planning, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to analyze, summarize and present financial information.
- Ability to interpret, apply and communicate management and personnel policies accurately and effectively.
- Must have a collaborative approach to problem solving, strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact respectfully and comfortably with all individuals in a diverse, team focused environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Virginia Tech financial and Human Resourcers policies and procedures.
- Experience such as Banner Finance, MicroStrategy, HRIS, PeopleAdmin, electronic I-9, Labor Redistribution, TimeClock Plus, Departmental Leave Reporting, HokieMart, and TEM.
- Experience and knowledge of OSP policies and procedures; including pre-award, post-award and SUMMIT System.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.