Senior Administrative Assistant
Santa Clara University
Department: Sch of Educ, Counsel, Psych
Part Year: No
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Standard Hours (hours per week): 40
This position is the first point of contact for the Department of Education. It provides administrative support to the Department of Education Chair and faculty to promote the mission of the School and the Department's goals. It provides support to the students, basic academic advising, maintains the department's budget, maintains the student database, and is in charge of general office needs for the department. This is a full-time position reporting to the department Chair.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Provide administrative support for the Chair
1. Schedule meetings and maintain the Department of Education Chairs appointments and calendar
2. Assist the chair in preparing full-year course schedules, lists of part-time adjunct faculty, and related approval processes
3. Assist Chair in preparation and coordination of department meetings and activities (prepare minutes, order refreshments, etc.)
4. Arrange travel as needed
5. Prepare correspondence as needed
6. Support the collection of records, and information for accreditation, WASC, program review, TPA and other reporting processes
7. Handle confidential information in support of the Chairs supervisory responsibilities
8. Assist Chair and/or Chair of Faculty Search Committees in all aspects of job searches, scheduling candidates, travel arrangements, etc.B. Provide administrative departmental support
1. Answer phones and greet students and visitors
2. Interact with students by assisting with forms/questions
3. Forward e-mail communications as requested by Chair to various faculty and/or student groups.
4. Assist the Web & Technology Coordinator with maintenance of the department website
5. Assist the Chair with the departments Annual Course Plan, and generate quarterly course schedules
6. Create and maintain master calendar for the Department of Education, and coordinate department meetings
7. Maintain copies of all course syllabi
8. Work with the Deans office to ensure scheduling, budgetary, and hiring deadlines are met and proper paperwork completed
9. Maintain class rosters, run curriculum/roster reports as needed
10. Coordinate textbook requisitions and act as bookstore liaison
11. Work with the Deans office to ensure quarterly schedules and room assignments are completed in a timely manner, including the preparation of catalog masters for each new course and quarterly schedule of departmental course offerings per the University Registrars procedures
12. Interact with University Finance departments (Accounts Payable, Bursars office, and Controllers office) following all proper financial policies and procedures
13. Work with Facilities to handle building and faculty work requests.
14. Access PeopleSoft student information for grades, courses, or other information requested by faculty or chair
15. Give specialty tours of department and provide relevant program information to prospective students and familiesC. Maintain Departmental Budgets
1. Maintain office inventory of department supplies and equipment
2. Maintain and track all department funds and reconcile monthly with PeopleSoft reports
3. Maintain and track copying expenses and phone expenses and reconcile monthly with PeopleSoft reports.
4. Reconcile purchasing card and out-of-pocket expenses through the Concur financial system.
5. Use PeopleSoft financial system to prepare and track purchase requisitions
6. Use PeopleSoft financial system to prepare purchase orders and record accounts payable and accounts receivable
7. Prepare Financial Transaction Adjustment Requests (FTAR)
8. Administer cash reimbursements to faculty through the Bursars office
9. Track budgets, faculty internal grants, and maintain financial reports
10. Meet monthly with the department chair to provide status reports on the budgetD. Student inquiries, database and records management
1. Assist students with program inquiries and direct them to the appropriate faculty or staff advisor
2. Interact with current and prospective students via phone and/or email, and refer them to the ECP Admissions office as needed
3. Maintain department directories
4. Organize and implement events and functions such as graduation, special speakers, faculty search processes, and other related activities
5. Interface with other Schools and departments
6. Maintain alumni mailing list for the Department of Education
7. Other duties as assigned by the ChairE. Supervise student workers
1. Using appropriate University documentation, hire, train, support and supervise student workers for office assistance and other academic support
2. Consult with Chair concerning daily and ongoing tasks assigned to student workers
3. Review and approve time sheets (paper and Ecampus)
Provides Work Direction:
Supervises student workers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer terminal.
May be required to travel to other buildings on the campus and between two campus locations (Santa Clara, East San Jose).
Typical office environment.
Mostly indoor office environment with windows.
Offices with equipment noise.
Offices with frequent interruptions.
Demonstrated commitment to multiculturalism and social justice.
Demonstrated familiarity with computer platforms, software (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, PeopleSoft, CRM systems), and the internet.
Appreciation for and understanding of the principles of Jesuit education.
Strong written and oral communication (email, phone and in-person) demonstrating strong command of the English language.
Must be able to handle difficult situations with a professional demeanor and communicate effectively to multiple audiences and diverse groups.
Able to meet deadlines, work autonomously and handle competing demands
Ability to think strategically while balancing attention to detail, anticipation of needs, and excellent organizational skills.
Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Must hold a valid drivers license.
Must have reliable transportation.
Education and/or Experience:
Education and/or experience equivalent to Bachelors degree and three years of administrative work, preferably in an education environment
Salary Information: Hiring Range $20.65 to $23.74 per hour
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://jobs.scu.edu
About Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in Californias Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus masters, Ph.D., and law degrees.
Distinguished by the highest retention rate and ranked second among all masters universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is Californias oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services website at http://www.scu.edu/cs/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency