Non-Tenure-Track Psychologist (Academic Year 2017/18)
Student Health and Counseling Services
Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) at California State University San Marcos seeks a non-tenure-track staff Psychologist (Student Services Professional, Academic-Related) for academic year 2017/18 (10 month approximately). This is a full-time, temporary, 1 year appointment, with a potential to renew. In the California State University system, psychologists are in the faculty bargaining unit. SHCS strives to advance student success by promoting wellness, removing psychological barriers, facilitating self-awareness, and cultivating the personal strengths of our students. SHCS has a focus on diversity that is thematic throughout all programs and values a leadership structure that is respectful, cohesive, and team oriented.
Duties of the position:
- Provides initial clinical consultation, clinical assessment, crisis intervention, and brief psychotherapy to a diverse university student population.
- Provides group counseling, both psychoeducational and process-oriented.
- Provides peer consultation, as well as consultation to University faculty and staff regarding concerns about students and the campus environment.
- Provides individual and/or group supervision to clinical trainees (both pre- and post-doctoral) and completes at least two training evaluations of supervisees.
- Designs and implements psychoeducational programs and outreach activities for the campus community, including students, faculty and staff, campus organizations, related academic departments, and Student Affairs units.
- Develops/participates in working relationships with other departments that share an interest in student wellness and personal development.
- Participates in the shared governance of the University by serving on campus committees, task forces, and working groups.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively as a member of the SHCS team.
- This position requires the incumbent to participate in the Exposure Control protocols for Student Health and Counseling Services under the CSUSM Medical Monitoring Program. Incumbents shall be required to receive an annual influenza vaccination or wear a mask while working in “patient care areas” as outlined on the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency website www.sdiz.org/HealthcarePros/Hot_Topics/Mandatory-Vaccination-or-Masking1516.html
Salary: The salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position includes a very attractive benefits package.
Minimum requirements for the position include:
- Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Counseling or Clinical Psychology from an APA-accredited program.
- Licensed or license-eligible in the State of California as a Psychologist with California Licensure within one year of start date.
- Demonstrated commitment and/or expertise in working with a diverse student population.
- Experience conducting time-limited psychotherapy, crisis intervention, and psychological assessment.
Preferred qualifications for the position include:
- Bilingual or multilingual Spanish Speaking.
- Generalist with a demonstrated appreciation for and commitment to working with a diverse student population.
- Completed an APA-accredited doctoral internship or an APPIC internship.
- Demonstrated experience in intern training and supervision.
- Strong professional experience in and appreciation for supporting traditionally underrepresented student groups, first-generation, and/or international college students through clinical interventions and/or research.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member in a stressful environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated commitment to diversity and/or intercultural competence with diverse groups.
Please submit a completed Faculty Application, a letter of interest, a curriculum vita, three (3) letters of reference, and a copy of California license or, if license-eligible, documentation of completion of at least 1500 supervised post-doctoral hours to firstname.lastname@example.org
Timeline: A review of applications will begin June 1, 2017; however the position will remain open until filled.
The university is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit www.csusm.edu/facultyopportunities for more information.
California State University San Marcos, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. A background check (including the criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon execution of an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status and Legal Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect form. Signing the form is a prerequisite to employment and failure to sign will result in any offer of employment being withdrawn.