High School Diploma/GED required.
Related Work Experience:
Two years related work experience/pertinent life experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Operate a variety of machines and equipment including automobiles, vans, office equipment, radio, telephone. Must qualify with Baton / OC Pepper spray. Must be able to ride a Segway.
- Microsoft Word
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary to effectively deal with University students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to understand verbal and written direction, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, which includes stressful situations.
- Must also be able to work independently in absence of a supervisor, be able to make observations and write clear, concise, and accurate reports reflecting these observations.
- Must be able to properly and professionally analyze and react to stressful and hostile situations.
- Interact with general public, student, staff and faculty.
- Must be able to work ALL shifts, including weekends, holiday, and overtime shifts. Overtime may be MANDATORY.
- Successfully complete a physical/health screening examination by the Office of Occupational Health and Safety, which includes a drug screening; successfully meet and maintain Campus Safety and Security physical requirements
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and officers must be able to remain on feet for extended periods of time, as well as stoop, kneel, crouch, lift.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including automobiles, vans, Segways, baton, pepper spray, office equipment, radio, telephone, computers with current word processing and other software, etc.
- Pursue offenders, restrain or apprehend aggressive individuals and make arrests when necessary
- Run moderate distances and/or go up and /or down flights of steps; read, interpret, and understand University policies and procedures
- Withstand exposure to inclement weather
Must meet Maryland State Police requirements and investigation for a Special Police Commission and have exemplary background and integrity in possession of a valid state motor vehicle driver's license; must pass a University criminal background investigation; have and maintain a clean motor vehicle driving record (no more than two current points).
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.