| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research Technician to join our team. The Integrated Genomics Operation (IGO) is the data production engine of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO). The IGO supports many platforms: digital PCR, Nanostring, Next Generation and Sanger Sequencing and our approach is comprehensive: from tissue to genomics data. We provide pathology service, DNA and RNA extraction, library construction, frequently enriching for certain targets and sequencing of the samples. We are a high throughput center and many of our processes are automated. Our laboratory supports basic, translational and clinical research. Ultimately, the main focus of our work is to help establish the basis of cancer pathogenesis, diagnostics and treatment at MSKCC. The candidate will handle and prepare samples for many downstream applications for NGS utilizing either robotics or traditional benchwork; and will interface with other teams within the IGO and across the CMO.
As a Senior Research Technician, you will:
- Prepare DNA and RNA libraries for NGS following established SOPs.
- Prepare reagents and set up runs for robots.
- Assist Group Leader to create an efficient and error-proof workflow – and troubleshoot data accordingly.
- Maintain the high quality standards that IGO has for its services
- Communicate with vendor technical support and sales representatives.
- Maintain and coordinate documentation for assay tracking and results for review/reporting through ilabs and LIMS.
- An enthusiastic researcher organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to work independently while working in a large team.
- Someone who can handle a very fast paced environment and the pressure associated with deadlines.
- An outstanding communicator.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Biological, Chemistry, or Science related field with at least 3 years of relevant full-time experience or a Master’s degree with 1-2 years full-time relevant experience.
- Previous exposure to pathology work is a must. Experience with handling DNA and RNA extraction is preferable.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.