NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Associate.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for conducting independent basic science experimentation based on research conducted in the assigned laboratory under the mentorship of a senior scientist working on mycobacterium tuberculosis molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry. Must be willing to perform animal work. Individual will be responsible for conducting independent basic science experimentation based on research conducted under the mentorship of a senior scientist. The candidate will be involved in bacteriological research and experimental techniques that include exceptional aseptic technique, bacterial culture, DNA purification, PCR, cloning, gel electrophoresis, immunoblotting and protein purification. The candidate will spend a small amount of effort on lab management and organization, including ordering supplies, stocking reagents and maintaining lab safety and databases.
- Executes multiple experiments simultaneously over time independently.
- Records all experimental findings in a laboratory notebook (paper or electronic), analyze and interpret experimental findings.
- Based on results, independently suggests and tests modifications to protocols
- Communicates results and collaborates with other professionals in the lab
- Demonstrates a significant level of intellectual input into the design of the project
- Presents findings at lab meeting, responds to challenges, and participates in exchanges of ideas to advance the science
- Reads and understands relevant scientific literature
- Contributes to the preparation of articles on research outcomes and progress and to the submission of same for publication
- Participates in the editing and proofing of manuscripts for publication
- Helps train graduate students and post-doctoral fellows in experimental design, technique and performance
- The candidate will need to work in a Biosafety level 3 facility (BSL3) and will thus require specific medical surveillance and training
To qualify you must have a B.S. or B.A. in Biomedical or Physical Sciences. PhDs will be considered for a higher title and responsibilities. A minimum commitment of two years is required and placement in position may not exceed three years (for the Research Associate level). The technician will be expected to present his or her research and participate at weekly lab meetings.
Prior familiarity with at least some of the techniques listed above (preference will be given to candidates having previous experience working with bacteria and molecular biology).
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.