This is a temporary two-year position subject to annual renewal pending funding and performance. Due to federal database access requirements, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply for this position.
Advise international students on immigration matters and related issues. Work closely with academic departments to support international students. Ensure compliance with federal regulations keeping detailed records. Work as a highly functioning, collaborative member of the Student Immigration Advising team and ISSS.
- Advise and assist prospective and admitted international students on pre-arrival immigration-related issues.
- Advise international students, prospective and continuing, on complex immigration regulations, including school transfers, reinstatements, employment authorization, and change of status, keeping detailed records of all processes.
- Counsel and assist enrolled international students on matters related to university life and the U.S. study experience, including finances, transportation, employment, health insurance, adjustment to the campus, and maintenance of student status.
- Serve as Designated School Official and Alternate Reponsible Office to create responsible I-20s/DS-2019s, manage SEVIS records, and process immigration applications for international students. Ensure SEVIS compliance for both the university and the student through understanding of and adherence to all applicable nonimmigrant visa regulations, as well as university policy.
- Perform administrative tasks necessary to support SEVIS compliance, including monitoring and adjudicating internally generated SEVIS reports by their assigned deadlines. Communicate with federal agencies regarding immigration benefits for international students. Maintain appropriate and accurate electronic and paper records of all international student documents and applications.
- Actively participate in the development and growth of team expertise in the laws and regulations governing international students and in advising/informing university administrators about university policies and procedures that ensure ongoing compliance.
- Work closely with ISSS leadership, as needed, to ensure proper understanding and application of immigration regulations and university policies, taking appropriate initiative and exercising discretion within the scope of assigned duties.
- Serve as a resource to academic departments to support international students admitted/enrolled in their degree programs. Serve as liaison to select university offices and departments on campus to inform/advocate for the needs of international students.
- Participate in the implementation and delivery of various programming activities including new student check-in and orientation; intercultural programming; special topic workshops and joint programming with other campus or community entities.
- Provide support to overall functions of office, including corresponding and communicating with international students on issues associated with their status at the university. Work collaboratively with other ISSS staff on development of training workshops and informational sessions on international issues for UT international students, faculty, and staff.
- Actively support the critical priorities of ISSS and the International Office, serve on internal committees, and participate in work groups.