A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of Patient Experience is committed to promoting and sustaining the ideal patient experience through excellence in patient and family centered care. Each employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The Office of Patient Experience is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to ensure that Michigan Medicine maintains excellence in the safety, quality, and experience in care.
The Patient Access Leader will be responsible for optimizing access to care across Michigan Medicine to achieve our strategic goals, provide exceptional patient service, and remain competitive with contractual relationships including Accountable Care Networks. The Patient Access leader will serve as the subject matter expert on access for Michigan Medicine and will develop and lead access projects across Michigan Medicine to drive rapid and sustained improvement on our patient access metrics. He/She will oversee the broad implementation of Master Scheduling, Guided Scheduling, and Schedule Optimization support at the enterprise level to Michigan Medicine clinics and programs, as well as Michigan Medicine Specialty providers. This role requires excellent communication and presentation skills to successfully engage and collaborate with senior leaders and physicians across the health system
The Patient Access leader will develop detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans, and status reports. They will also conduct project meetings and will be responsible for project tracking and analysis. The Manager will ensure adherence to quality standards and reviews project deliverables. Key to this role will be the ability to provide analytical guidance to OPE Leadership and the Access project team.
- Identify and execute key tactics and projects that will support access improvement and exceptional patient experience
- Review and report out to ambulatory leadership results of all access projects and make recommendations for revisions and/or deployment of successful best practices across the ambulatory enterprise.
- Oversight of Michigan Medicine Access operations
- Provides a clear path forward to accomplish both short- and long-term Access results that are consistent with the mission and goals of the Office of Patient Experience
- Provide leadership and direction including communication and collaboration with senior leaders and staff to deliver on the competitive imperative of ambulatory access
- For areas with constrained access, either episodic or long-standing, work with physician and administrative leadership across Michigan Medicine and our partners as appropriate to identify and implement specific strategies for short and longer term to meet patient care needs
- Develop, integrate, and oversee ongoing audits of template and scheduling practices to ensure consistency with our scheduling and referral policies.
- Work closely with clinics and program teams to ensure access goals and first call appointing is in alignment.
- Lead an Access Task Force to ensure rapid progress on key access strategies across the clinics
- Actively participate on OPE/MI Medicine strategic committees and other key leadership meetings on Ambulatory Access.
- Maintain current knowledge on emerging best practices on access, technology and other strategies to optimize patient access on a national level.
- Develop standard process for assessing primary care capacity across MI Medicine.
- Foster continuous improvement methods to develop innovative approaches to add valued convenience to the patient experience in their MI Medicine journey from the moment of first contact.
- Represent MI Medicine at national and regional levels on patient access.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and respectfully with patients and families, staff, faculty and students from diverse backgrounds.
- BA or BS in a related required
- 10 years demonstrated success/results in management capacity related to access
- Healthcare Industry experience highly desirable
- Proven Team Builder
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management, techniques and tools to improve access
- Ability to translate analyses into actionable information for decision making at all levels within the Health System
- Ability to analyze, compare and evaluate various courses of action
- Master’s degree in business or health care preferred
- Academic Healthcare system experience preferred
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.