NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr Embryologist.
In this role, the successful candidate Under direction of the Embryology Supervisor performs technical/clinical and research duties in the embryology laboratory with ability to interface with the research and ancillary components of the IVF Program. Participates in the oversight and training of Embryologists
- Basic Procedures - Must demonstrate sufficient competency in basic embryology and andrology procedures needed for In Vitro Fertilization to be permitted to work independently in the following: Collection and preparation of oocytes for insemination (involves oocyte microscopic identification, cleaning, distribution in dishes and insemination). Analysis and preparation of sperm specimen for insemination or for ICSI - intracytoplasmic sperm injection (includes analysis and processing of fresh and cryopreserved semen specimens as well as the processing of fresh and cryopreserved specimens surgically obtained by epididymal aspiration or testis biopsy). Assessment of fertilization and zygote quality following insemination. Daily assessment/grading and handling of embryos through Day 6 of in vitro culture.
- Basic Procedures - Cryopreservation and thawing of embryos at varying stages of development (includes subsequent culture and assessment of thawed embryos). Preparation of fresh and thawed embryos for intrauterine transfer (involves loading of catheter for transfer and assessing catheter for retained embryos as well as performing micromanipulation procedure assisted hatching when required). Arranges for the discard of fresh and cryopreserved specimens or arranging for transfer of discarded tissues for research purposes. Performs ancillary procedures required to control for and improve the quality of services provided by the laboratory (include the preparation and labeling of media and tissue culture materials, media and supply testing, equipment monitoring). Document all aspects of laboratory procedure in the appropriate written and computerized transcription formats (includes data involving clinical embryology and andrology procedures, laboratory equipment monitoring, media and supply testing and embryo and sperm cryostorage).
- Advanced procedures - Senior embryologist is expected to have demonstrated the appropriate skill level to work independently at specific procedures referenced above. Senior embryologist is expected to be able to contribute valuable judgments to the laboratory and physician team in reference to the status and appropriateness of clinical sperm, egg and embryo specimens. Senior embryologists will have also demonstrated an expertise that allows them to discuss embryologic or laboratory issues with patients, physicians or other concerned individuals or providers. Senior embryologist is expected to participate in the development of laboratory research projects. This involvement could be voluntary or upon request of the Laboratory Director or Embryology Supervisor.
- Advanced procedures - Senior embryologists participation can include the following activities: data collection from computerized files or patient charts, statistical analysis, data organization and presentation at institutional, local, national or international meetings. Senior embryologist will participate in the harvesting and preparation of media or tissue specimens for analytic purposes. Senior embryologists will participate fully in the laboratorys efforts to implement and monitor its clinical and research procedures thereby controlling, maintaining and improving the quality of the laboratorys clinical and research services.
- Advanced procedures - Senior embryologists are expected to monitor the status of patient consent compliance as well as chart documentation. Senior embryologists are expected to mentor embryologists in the techniques and administrative requirements of the laboratory. Senior embryologists must be fully aware of the documentation requirements as they relate to patient confidentiality and informed consent, laboratory safety and reporting requirements for New York State Department of Health and/or SART-ASRM/CDC.
- Documentation /Reporting - Ability to accurately enter data into and retrieve data from a predetermined Access database. Requires familiarity with PC based programs, i.e., Excel and Access. Requires familiarity with cryostorage record-keeping and reporting.
- Quality Control- Monitors equipment reagents, media, and work environment by following quality control guidelines. Disposes of sharps and needles in designated hazard containers. Reports malfunctions to senior personnel promptly. Follows departmental procedures and instructions. Performs all tests utilizing universal precautions for bloodborne pathogens and in accordance with procedures developed by the Program management. Verifies status of patient consent compliance for various clinical procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in a biological science including a minimum 5+ years experience in a clinical laboratory setting performing basic and advanced embryology techniques with experience in in-vitro fertilization. Good written and verbal communication skills
Experience with advanced biopsy techniques
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.