About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor – Second Shift, the Plumber Steamfitter works as part of a multi-trade team performing preventative and scheduled maintenance on a wide range of electrical and mechanical systems. Area of focus will be performance of tasks in the mechanical trades (Plumbing, Steam fitting, HVAC, and Maintenance Millwright) in support of building maintenance/installation on the VT campus, on the second shift.
- Verifiable journey-level experience such as, Plumbing, Steam Fitting, HVAC, Maintenance Millwright or all four trades.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to perform routine Plumbing/Mechanical tasks.
- Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling; ability to communicate effectively, have good team work skills, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
– Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
– May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
– This is a designated emergency personnel position.
– Must be able to work 3:30 pm to 12:30 am on a regular basis.
- Experience in a commercial, construction, or educational settings.
- Knowledge of Plumbing/Steam fitting /HVAC/mechanical equipment.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/31/2017