Develop and Manage Key Relationships -
- Develop and advise a community engagement prioritization strategy that maximizes reach based on pre-existing relationships, established community building efforts, and opportunity for impact.
- Identify key stakeholders in targeted sports-based or place-based communities and cultivate relationships with these groups/individuals.
- Leverage an asset-based community development perspective to provide community members with guidance that improves their capacities and capabilities to provide sports services through coordination and collaboration.
- Develop and manage a cataloging process and constituency database for key relationships.
Build and Support a Community of Practice -
- Learn about our community investment strategies, be able to discuss them intelligently, and build enthusiasm for them among key relationships.
- Develop and manage a community of practice for existing or prospective community investment beneficiaries by creating tools such as online/in-person networks, recognition events, and educational activities.
- Guide participation with such tools by being an active leader and network builder.
- Identify network members with high potential for taking on volunteer leadership roles; recruit and manage these volunteer community leaders.
Report On and Advise Future Investments and Asset Development -
- Monitor the progress of our community investments by supporting assessments and analyzing feedback.
- Identify trends, opportunities, and areas of concern emerging from our community investments.
- Curate standout examples of community building by increasing access and participation in youth sport for our core team, sponsors and partners, highlighting groups or individuals with noteworthy collaboration, strong insights, and promising innovations.
- Articulate World Sport Chicago’s strategic direction at community meetings and through regular blog posts and highlight emails.
- Develop strategies for involving more volunteers in our community investments and network building events.
Relevant experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or some college with equivalent work experience in a field related to community engagement, community development, or community building.
- 3+ years in experience in community engagement or another role focused on fostering collaboration.
- A general understanding of systems theory, asset-based development, and collective impact. An interest in applying such principles to day-to-day activities.
- A broad reaching knowledge of Chicago’s historical development at the community level, barriers to community cohesion, and the application of sport to build/develop communities.
- Extensive experience in building and maintaining people networks.
- Knowledge of Spanish at a conversational level or greater is preferred.
Essential functions and characteristics:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the abilities to tailor communications to effect action from a variety of audiences and to actively listen for insights and feedback. Strong presentation skills, outgoing and engaging.
- Professionalism in representing World Sport Chicago with individuals from various cultures, backgrounds, and lived experience – one who is culturally competent and embraces diverse values and perspectives.
- Strong attention to details, highly organized with the ability to effectively manage one’s time across multiple tasks and projects.
- Entrepreneurial and creative spirit with a willingness to take on new challenges, lead others, and craft innovative/marketable approaches.
- Proficiency in using a computer for internet applications, business email, and office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule working occasional nights and weekends, in the office or in the field.
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to regularly travel to various Chicago communities.
- Ability to execute physical tasks which may include sitting for long periods, moving long distances by your own power, and moderate lifting of objects. Reasonable physical accommodations will be made.