Education: Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or in a field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
Experience: Three (3) years' experience in laboratory research including two (2) years with a molecular biology specialization.
Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.*
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
* Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the laboratory, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research laboratory. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to take a lead role in performing and directing various advanced routine, and maintenance procedures.
- Ability to perform independent projects and to serve as a consultant in area of technical specialty.
- Ability to design and recommend changes to research projects and/or area of technical specialty.
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments.
- Knowledge and assurance of compliance issues related to laboratory activities.
- Skill in statistical programming, interpretation and data analysis using statistical software as well as spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and dismantles and repair equipment.
- Ability to network with, and present information to key groups and individuals.
- Ability to conduct library research and participate in the preparation of journal articles.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.