Rowan University is a public comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 17,300 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven colleges and five schools: the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked third among public institutions in the North by U.S. News & World Report.
The College of Education is the oldest college on campus and serves approximately 3,000 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The College recently launched the Center for Access, Success, and Equity (CASE), a new PhD in Education program, and a recruitment and retention program for diverse male educators. The work of the College is underscored by its commitment to addressing issues of access, social justice, and equity. Find out more about the College of Education at http://www.rowan.edu/home/education
The Praxis Lab is designed to support the Praxis Core and Praxis II (#5001). The Praxis Core and Praxis II examinations are required for New Jersey Teacher Certification. The examination measures the academic achievement and proficiency of individuals wanting to enter teacher preparation programs and become certified as a teaching professional. Each state has its own requirements regarding the Praxis test number and minimum score requirements.
The role of the part-time Praxis Lab Assistant is to support the Praxis Lab Coordinator in providing services and resources to teacher candidates in successfully passing the Praxis exam. Additional training in software and instructional strategies for reintroducing and achieving mastery in content areas will be provided.
The position includes the following duties:
- Proctoring pre-assessments to gather baseline data for tutoring sessions
- Helping students identify content misconceptions and gaps by way of the pre-assessments
- Teaching strategies to overcome misconceptions and gaps by way of analysis from the pre-assessments
- Clerical duties, which include recording students? entry into the praxis lab program, as well as removing students from the system upon the passing of appropriate examinations
- Confirming appropriate measures have been made and followed per the student contract and removing students when contracts have been void
- Keeping detailed weekly and monthly reports of student passing and failing rates, as well as noting the score increase and/or decrease in earned points
This part-time position is 20 hours per week. Hours of availability include both AM and PM and may vary depending on the demands of the lab. Work is contracted annually to coincide with the fiscal year and is contingent upon budget appropriations.
- Bachelor?s degree in education or related area
- Background and/or experience tutoring and remediation of skills
- Backgrounds in language arts, mathematics (particularly an understanding of modern mathematic pedagogy) and varied instructional strategies
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
- ?Background and/or experience in special education
Please submit resume, transcripts, and three letters of recommendation with your online application.
Contact Dr. Stacey Leftwich with any questions at email@example.com.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.