This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 141671 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 141672
A total of one (1) 0.5 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Work under the supervision of facility medical director and attending nephrologists to provide patient care in the outpatient hemodialysis unit.
- Interview new patients to obtain and document a detailed patient history and perform focused physical examinations.
- Work with nephrologists in the program to provide face-to-face interval assessment, evaluate the need for changes in the dialysis prescription and assist in writing weekly progress notes.
- Work cooperatively with other members of the dialysis unit team and participate in regularly scheduled Plans of Care.
- Assess and treat acute medical problems identified through ongoing interval assessment, ordering appropriate tests & procedures, and/or making appropriate referrals.
- Coordinate care with other medical providers both inside and outside of the University of Michigan.
- Monitor labs and assist in the development of patient-specific, facility based disease management protocols.
- Advise patients of monthly lab results and provide patient education.
- Provide professional guidance to facility personnel in the implementation and maintenance of facility based protocols (e.g. anemia management, vascular access surveillance, bone disease management.)
- Participate in program QA/CQI efforts.
This position is also posted in the Nursing job family under number 141213 for NP Applicants.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited NP program
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills demonstrated by previous employment reference. Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision and as a part of a collaborative team.
- Current BLS required, but ACLS certification preferred.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One or more years of PA/NP clinical experience.
- Progressive expertise in the management of patients at the Advanced Practice level.
- Commitment to clinical and translational research.
- The ability to function independently.
- Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Experience with a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care
- Excellent computing skills
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services and to communicate assertively as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
Hours: 20 hrs a week
Shift: 2, ten hour days on the Monday/Wednesday/Friday shift.
Location: Division of Nephrology, Ann Arbor Outpatient Dialysis Unit
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at UMHS, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.