NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Cardiac Sonographer.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing, measuring and analyzing all aspects of cardiac ultrasound testing which includes M-mode two-dimensional, pulsed, continuous wave and color flow Doppler, as well as portable Echocardiograms. Also responsible for Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE), Stress echocardiograms including Pharmacological Stress testing, TTE and TEE 3D reconstruction, tissue Doppler, contrast echocardiography, Strain Imaging and participation in various research trials.
- Maintains equipment for proper function and safety. Cleans and prepares equipment for patient testing. Disinfects equipment after each patient in accordance with manufacturer guidelines and medical center Infection Control policies. Notifies manager or supervisor of any equipment service requirements.
- Documents the echocardiogram or vascular imaging according to departmental procedures and policies. Enters, maintains, and records all pertinent data. Informs physician of any changes in patients condition, vital signs, or urgent findings requiring escalation. Follows isolation precaution procedures as necessary.
- Reviews patient chart to compare previous imaging or review other pertinent information. Demonstrates a working knowledge of normal and abnormal cardiac anatomy, cardiac hemodynamics, electrophysiology as well as the major disease processes of the cardiovascular system. Performs, assesses and critiques the patient's echocardiogram deciding what is necessary for a complete diagnostic study. Alerts the appropriate medical staff of abnormalities that require immediate attention. Is prepared to assist the cardiologist in the event of a cardiac emergency. Carries out assignment within a realistic time frame.
- Provides for patient comfort and arranges equipment for procedures. Prepares equipment and supplies according to established departmental procedures. Interacts with patients by identifying self to patient and verifies the identity of the patient by checking the patient ID bracelet or verbal acknowledgement by patient. Explains the procedures and equipment to the patient clearly. Provides for patient privacy at all times.
- Observes and instructs student sonographers, cardiac fellows, and residents
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree (Two years of college) or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of accredited program in Diagnostic Ultrasound.
- Registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS, RDCS).
- At least a minimum of one year of experience in Pediatric Echocardiography.
- If registry eligibile, must obtain registration through ARDMS within one year of employment.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) required.
- Must maintain active registry status (30 CMEs per three year period). Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in Pediatric echocardiography. At least two years experience in Pediatric and fetal echocardiography.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.