NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a High Performance Computing (HPC) Systems Administrator.
The New York University Langone Medical Center Research IT High-Performance Computing (HPC) Group has an immediate opening for an experienced linux systems administrator to work on HPC platforms. HPC experience is strongly preferred but it is not required - we will train. The incumbent will have an opportunity to join a group of highly motivated HPC specialists and computational scientists in providing a world-class HPC services to our researchers and clinicians by designing, implementing and operating state-of-the-art HPC environment.
- Plan, design, install, test, benchmark, monitor, and maintain complex high-performance computing, storage, and networking equipment within a medical research environment.
- Install and maintain operating systems, compilers, schedulers, batch systems, file systems, backup/restore systems, vendor and other software infrastructure typically found on HPC platforms.
- Help identify, research, select, and/or develop state-of-the-art hardware and software technologies to support Langone HPC strategic directions.
- Engage in operations of Langone data centers; champion and apply datacenter best practices.
- Help formulate systems use policies, clearly communicate them to clients, and enforce them in a consistent manner.
- Help establish methodologies to consolidate hardware and software resources and increase systems utilization.
- Ensure proper research data lifecycle management.
- Provision on-demand hardware and software support for class instruction.
- Maintain security of all Langone HPC systems.
- Analyze, tune, and optimize Langone HPC systems' performance.
- Build and maintain software stack and license servers; write job submission and data movement/analysis scripts for customers; profile and optimize software stack.
- Develop in-house software for systems usage monitoring, statistics gathering, and accounting.
- Monitor systems, diagnose problems quickly and respond promptly.
- Document systems administration procedures and workflows using knowledge management tools.
- Actively participate in various tiers of customer support including ticket based troubleshooting.
- Provide user training and develop reference materials for using applications; participate in outreach activities.
- Help develop and maintain NYU Langone HPC website.
- Participate in relationships with information technology firms and computer equipment vendors.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all Langone HPC clients.
- Participate in 24x7 on call rotation.
- Help develop performance metrics and instruments to gather information about research derivatives enabled by Langone HPC.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director, Langone HPC.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of experience with Linux/UNIX systems administration on high-end computing platforms
- Proficiency in Linux/UNIX systems administration on high-end computing platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Masters degree in computer science or related field
- 2+ years of experience with Linux/Unix systems administration in high-performance computing environments (distributed memory clusters, SMP machines, etc.)
- RHCE or RHCA certification
- Proficiency in Linux/UNIX systems administration in high-performance computing environments (distributed memory clusters, SMP machines, etc.)
- Proficiency in managing parallel file systems and/or enterprise class storage
- Scripting proficiency in Perl, Python and Unix shell; programming proficiency in C, C++, Fortran and Java
- Extensive knowledge of networking technologies
- Expertise in managing switched fabric cluster interconnect technology
- Familiarity with MPICH, OpenMPI, or another MPI implementation
- Knowledge of HPC resource managers and schedulers
- Extensive knowledge of GPGPUs and other accelerator technologies; proficiency in CUDA and OpenCL programming
- In-depth knowledge of scientific software libraries
- Expertise in virtualization; familiarity with OpenStack or other cloud technologies
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.