Title: Community Engagement Manager, Midwest
Reports To: VP of Development: Community Engagement
Hours/FLSA Status: Full Time/Exempt
Location: Chicago, IL
Travel Requirements: up to 25% travel
How to apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not for profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn runs intensive community service and service learning programs in 40 high schools across the U.S. and empowers youth to contribute direct service to their communities – working with senior citizens, the homeless population and younger children. Through buildOn, students learn to see themselves as the solution, not the problem. They elevate expectations for their communities and themselves. And they develop the character, grit and determination they need to succeed. 97% of buildOn students in the U.S. not only graduate from high school, they go on to college! These same students help build schools in some of the economically poorest countries in the world, bringing access to education to hundreds of communities. buildOn students have contributed more than 1.9 million hours of service in the U.S., and have helped build more than 1100 schools in Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nepal, Nicaragua, Malawi, Mali, and Senegal.
Overview of the Role
As buildOn’s Community Engagement Manager, you will be a leader in the fastest growing fundraising revenue stream with the highest potential for growth. As the Community Engagement Manager, your primary goal will be to grow buildOn’s dynamic and exciting Community Teams program in the Midwest region of the United States. buildOn’s Community Teams program is a vast network of groups in high schools, colleges and the wider community that raise funds to sponsor the construction of buildOn schools in our partner countries and travel abroad on service learning treks to help to build the schools in solidarity with rural communities. You will work closely with the Community Engagement Director, Vice President of Community Engagement and the entire development team. You will assist with the implementation of an annual three-day Stakeholder Summit, which brings together team leaders from around the world and you will have the opportunity to travel both domestically and internationally! Community Teams are an important fundraising and awareness tool for buildOn. You will have a unique opportunity to contribute to this new and exciting component of the organization.
buildOn provides our Community Team members with the tools and skills necessary to successfully organize locally and serve globally. We educate members about literacy’s role in combating global poverty, develop their leadership abilities and give them the strategic and technological support they need to make a lasting impact throughout the world.
What’s more, buildOn directly engages our members in meaningful and personal empowering service learning treks to live with a rural village in the developing world and helps them to construct the primary school they helped to fund. When students witness firsthand the incredible enthusiasm for education from children who lack access to it, they gain a renewed appreciation for their own educational opportunities.
- Expand and open new teams, while building and cultivating relationships with current team leaders, members and donors.
- Connect teams with buildOn communities in buildOn partner countries and focus their energy on sponsoring and building schools.
- Educate/coach/mentor team leaders regarding buildOn’s mission, function and programs.
- Create and manage online and offline fundraising campaigns.
- Work with the Community Engagement team to organize a three-day conference to energize and motivate all team leaders.
- Work closely with buildOn’s marketing team to engage team members through social media.
- Ability to nurture meaningful relationships and provide support with team fundraising and management.
- Excellent organizational skills as well as utilizing your creative energy will support a Community Team model that is dynamic, scalable and impactful.
What you will need to succeed:
- Deep passion for buildOn’s mission who is inspired to make a difference in the lives of people globally.
- Extensive experience in fundraising and/or sales.
- The ideal candidate is a constituent relationship manager and communicator with a proven track record in campaigning and/or community organizing.
- Possess high-energy, creativity, with a proven innate entrepreneurial spirit
- Team player with collaborative style, a positive and enthusiastic attitude and demonstrative flexibility.
- You have the ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment.
- You are able to work with minimal direction and supervision; independent and self-sufficient.