This position manages the financial, administrative and human resource operations for the Department and serves as the liaison between East Asian department and other departments responsible for determining University-wide policy, procedures, and services (e.g., Dean of the College, Dean of the Faculty, Registrar, Human Resources, Controllerâ??s Office, Budget Office, ORA, Facilities, etc.), and has sufficient understanding of the Department's programs and services and the processes and resources required to support them to manage day-to-day operations and to play a leadership role in assisting the Chair with short and long term planning.
NOTE: This position is scheduled to work 11 months per year, and is not scheduled to work for one of the summer months of either July or August.
- BA degree or equivalent combination of education and experience plus a minimum of 4-5 years closely related experience, including prior financial and grant experience including preparing grant proposals. Experience in higher education preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a unit/function to ensure effective use of resources.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills to deal effectively in a multi-dimensional environment..
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and technical experience developing databases and spreadsheets to support departmental functions.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments.
- Ability to carry out the management mission of an academic unit in a complex environment.
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and manage multiple priorities.
Applicants are asked to submit a resume and cover letter.
Background Check-Criminal and Education
Recruiting Start Date:2017-05-10-07:00
Job Posting Title:Academic Department Manager
Department:Department of East Asian Studies
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.