Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is seeking candidates for a Database Administrator (Professional Technologist 2). Responsibilities for this junior DBA position include managing and administering WVU database systems. This position will help or assist senior members with design, configuration and maintenance of the databases. This position will also assist in troubleshooting performance issues and will support the DBA team by being a part of the on-call rotation for the team.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Install and configure multiple instances of databases for training, development, testing and production on multiple machines.
- Perform backups and restores for each system along with performing regular test of business continuity plans for all production databases.
- Read database administration logs, monitoring systems and scheduled job outputs to make appropriate adjustments per established standards and metrics.
- Research new patches, upgrades and configuration changes for supported databases.
- Create procedures, plans and documentation needed by other database administrators and IS management to support University applications.
- Research new security patches and releases for databases, application and forms servers, as well as any Oracle utilities and tools utilized.
- Evaluate user requests for security access and grant appropriate access.
- Work with the end-user to develop, test and implement new roles for security access.
- Monitor all systems for security/access violations.
Work Hours: This position is on-call 24/7 approximately six weeks per year to ensure the 24/7 availability of the production systems and perform database administrative maintenance, software upgrades/patching and custom code application to production systems.
ITS has approximately 210 employees with diverse backgrounds, personalities and experience. We make sure the networks, data centers, Internet and phones are robust and reliable. We support dozens of applications that are critical to the University's administrative functions and academic mission, including the online learning system, eCampus. We protect the confidentiality and integrity of data.
We want employees with a positive attitude, an eagerness to collaborate, initiative and imagination. We want creative thinkers who can find clever solutions to problems and improve our efficiency. We want people who embrace WVU's many missions, from empowering faculty and students to improving the quality of life for West Virginians.
- Bachelor's degree required; degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, electronics, engineering or other science field preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered
- A combination of two (2) years of experience in the following areas is required:
- Oracle DBA experience
- Oracle 12c experience
- Installation and maintenance of vendor software
- Providing technical assistance to end users
- Overall technical experience
- Working knowledge of database tools and utilities such as Application Server, Monitoring Utilities, or Warehousing Tools
First consideration will be given to those who apply by May 29, 2017.
- Background check
- Oracle Certified Associate is preferred, or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
About WVU At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: May 11, 2017
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes