Classification: Non-exempt (Full-time)
Reports to: Assistant Director of Social Work
Cabrini Green Legal Aid (CGLA) has strengthened lives, assisted families and supported communities --- one person at a time for over 40 years. CGLA does more than give people a second chance --- we are addressing the root causes of unemployment, homelessness, poverty and other challenges that contribute to crime and recidivism. CGLA strives to bring about substantive, transformational change in the lives of those we serve by using a holistic model that integrates the delivery of legal services with interdisciplinary social work services and collaborative supportive social services through strategic partnerships with social service providers, government agencies, and other legal aid organizations. Legal services focus on those negatively impacted by the criminal legal system through representation in criminal and civil proceedings and advocacy for relief under criminal records laws.
Overview of Position
The Social Worker position at CGLA serves as part of an interdisciplinary team, addressing the holistic needs of our clients as they receive legal services from CGLA staff attorneys. The Social Worker provides case management services to clients across all of CGLA’s legal programs, managing a caseload of approximately 40 active Client Support Service cases. In addition to providing direct services, the Social Worker engages with CGLA’s network of partner agencies and other social service organizations to achieve successful client outcomes. The Social Worker reports directly to the Client Support Services Manager.
- Engage effectively with both clients and attorneys as an integral part of CGLA’s interdisciplinary team approach to serving clients, offering direct services, connecting clients to partner social service agencies, and working closely with clients and service providers at each agency with which they are engaged;
- Provide support and guidance to clients with diverse needs throughout the duration of their case, from initial intake through case closing via client appointments, court dates, phone calls, and home visits;
- Engage in individualized case management with clients including the coordination of services related to their needs across five areas: legal standing, economic stability, housing stability, family connectedness, and substance use and mental health stability;
- Co-facilitate, plan, and evaluate peer-led support and advocacy group for the female-identified re-entry population
- Assist the Client Support Services Manager in the implementation and periodic revision of the evidence-based holistic assessment model for CGLA clients;
- Develop and coordinate a continuous quality improvement plan for monitoring and enhancing the quality of services being provided by the Client Support Services program at CGLA;
- Provide emergency support to clients in crisis;
- Maintain accurate client records, case notes, and data tracking, and complete periodic reports;
- With direction from the Client Support Services Manager, provide supervision to social work interns at the MSW level; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to CGLA’s mission;
- MSW or BSW from a School of Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education;
- Experience working in a community-based organization and familiarity with the resources of Chicago (strongly preferred);
- Commitment to understanding the legal system from a systemic and individual perspective;
- Understand the complexities of working in a legal setting on an interdisciplinary legal-social work team;
- Demonstrate commitment to working with low-income and oppressed individuals; and
- Current membership in a professional social work organization or willingness to become member.