This position is the first point of contact for the Department of Education. It provides administrative support to the Department of Education Chair and faculty to promote the mission of the School and the Department's goals. It provides support to the students, basic academic advising, maintains the department's budget, maintains the student database, and is in charge of general office needs for the department. This is a full-time position reporting to the department Chair.
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities|
A. Provide administrative support for the Chair
1. Schedule meetings and maintain the Department of Education Chair's appointments and calendar
2. Assist the chair in preparing full-year course schedules, lists of part-time adjunct faculty, and related approval processes
3. Assist Chair in preparation and coordination of department meetings and activities (prepare minutes, order refreshments, etc.)
4. Arrange travel as needed
5. Prepare correspondence as needed
6. Support the collection of records, and information for accreditation, WASC, program review, TPA and other reporting processes
7. Handle confidential information in support of the Chair's supervisory responsibilities
8. Assist Chair and/or Chair of Faculty Search Committees in all aspects of job searches, scheduling candidates, travel arrangements, etc.
B. Provide administrative departmental support
1. Answer phones and greet students and visitors
2. Interact with students by assisting with forms/questions
3. Forward e-mail communications as requested by Chair to various faculty and/or student groups.
4. Assist the Web & Technology Coordinator with maintenance of the department website
5. Assist the Chair with the department's Annual Course Plan, and generate quarterly course schedules
6. Create and maintain master calendar for the Department of Education, and coordinate department meetings
7. Maintain copies of all course syllabi
8. Work with the Dean's office to ensure scheduling, budgetary, and hiring deadlines are met and proper paperwork completed
9. Maintain class rosters, run curriculum/roster reports as needed
10. Coordinate textbook requisitions and act as bookstore liaison
11. Work with the Dean's office to ensure quarterly schedules and room assignments are completed in a timely manner, including the preparation of catalog masters for each new course and quarterly schedule of departmental course offerings per the University Registrar's procedures
12. Interact with University Finance departments (Accounts Payable, Bursar's office, and Controller's office) following all proper financial policies and procedures
13. Work with Facilities to handle building and faculty work requests.
14. Access PeopleSoft student information for grades, courses, or other information requested by faculty or chair
15. Give specialty tours of department and provide relevant program information to prospective students and families
C. Maintain Departmental Budgets
1. Maintain office inventory of department supplies and equipment
2. Maintain and track all department funds and reconcile monthly with PeopleSoft reports
3. Maintain and track copying expenses and phone expenses and reconcile monthly with PeopleSoft reports.
4. Reconcile purchasing card and out-of-pocket expenses through the Concur financial system.
5. Use PeopleSoft financial system to prepare and track purchase requisitions
6. Use PeopleSoft financial system to prepare purchase orders and record accounts payable and accounts receivable
7. Prepare Financial Transaction Adjustment Requests (FTAR)
8. Administer cash reimbursements to faculty through the Bursar's office
9. Track budgets, faculty internal grants, and maintain financial reports
10. Meet monthly with the department chair to provide status reports on the budget
D. Student inquiries, database and records management
1. Assist students with program inquiries and direct them to the appropriate faculty or staff advisor
2. Interact with current and prospective students via phone and/or email, and refer them to the ECP Admissions office as needed
3. Maintain department directories
4. Organize and implement events and functions such as graduation, special speakers, faculty search processes, and other related activities
5. Interface with other Schools and departments
6. Maintain alumni mailing list for the Department of Education
7. Other duties as assigned by the Chair
E. Supervise student workers
1. Using appropriate University documentation, hire, train, support and supervise student workers for office assistance and other academic support
2. Consult with Chair concerning daily and ongoing tasks assigned to student workers
3. Review and approve time sheets (paper and Ecampus)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred.
This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.