| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Molecular Cytology Core Facility (MCCF) at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center seeks a Junior Digital Microscopy Technician. The MCCF is equipped with state of the art imaging systems including Leica SP8 confocal microscope equipped with white-light laser and APDs, Zeiss LSM880 with Airy Scan, and Zeiss widefield fluorescence microscope for fast ratio imaging, as well as an Atomic Force Microscope. A number of widefield and confocal systems are equipped with live imaging capabilities. MCCF also assists in image processing and analyses using software like Metamorph, Imaris, AutoDeblur, FIJI, MATLAB and others.
- Train and assist users with imaging equipment.
- Assist in post-acquisition processing and analysis of the data, writing scripts and macros in order to automate the analysis.
- Maintain, calibrate, and monitor the performance of imaging systems.
- Evaluate the newest hardware and software technological advances and equipment.
- Conduct individual and collaborative research projects.
- Assist in lab projects and work with histology component of the lab to study new techniques in histological sample preparation.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field and a strong background in computing are required, also familiarity with scientific imaging and image processing concepts.
- Experience in research working with advanced fluorescent microscopy and confocal microscopy is preferred, but training will be provided.
- Experience in systems administration in Windows operating system environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work with users, vendors, engineers, and staff. Teaching or tutoring experience preferred.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility in working hours and ability to multi-task are required as well.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.