| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The mission of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is to promote precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. The CMO brings together clinicians and scientists throughout MSKCC to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
As a Bioinformatics Analyst you will:
- Provide next-generation sequencing data curation and management of Illumina sequencing data generated by the MSKCC Integrated Genomics Operation core facility.
- Develop new and utilize existing software and database systems to track specimen information, experimental parameters, and performance metrics.
- Perform next-generation sequence data analysis; including: bcl2fastq, pooled sample demultiplexing, sequencing alignment, and data quality control assessment for whole exome, whole genome, targeted capture, RNAseq, and CRISPR screen sequencing methods.
- Fully investigate any abnormalities in generation of high quality next-generation sequencing data, identify potential deviations from standard operating procedures, and offer solutions to stake holders.
- Participate in feature design and best practice work flows of the existing Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Provide bioinformatics support for the evaluation of new sequencing platforms and/or applications.
- Work with experimental and computational biologists, clinical and translational research collaborators, and scientists in the MSKCC Center for Molecular Oncology.
- A detail-oriented, effective communicator with an ability to build strong relationships
- An excellent problem-solver with the ability to analyze situations, draw conclusions, make recommendations and convey this information in a timely and proficient manner.
- Passionate about science and have a desire to impact cancer.
- Master’s degree or equivalent with 2-4 years of Bioinformatics software and system development required.
- Cross-disciplinary and strong analytic skills, as well as broad experience with next-generation sequencing bioinformatics methods, and computer programming languages are essential.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.