Public Safety Officer - Various Shifts and Locations
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09048
Location: Various Locations
Address: Various Locations
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Classified; Level 20; Full-time; Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $3,437 to $3,511 per month
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
| This is an Open applicant pool for several upcoming positions. Successful applicants who pass screening and interview will be offered positions as they become available. Various shifts and locations throughout the district. |
Under the direction of a Public Safety Sergeant or higher official, performs general duty public safety work in the protection of life and property throughout the college. Utilizing established procedures, responds and takes appropriate action in the event of crime, fire, or medical emergencies. Conducts foot, bicycle and vehicle patrol on a random basis. Takes action when necessary in the enforcement of certain state and local laws.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Must be able to:
- work rotating shifts and days off with overtime as required, and early/late hours with call-back hours as needed.
-work inside and outside in extreme weather conditions.
- adapt to rapidly changing environments and continual interruptions during shifts.
- May be exposed to stressful or potentially dangerous situations or incidents.
Must meet the following requirements: possess normal color discrimination, binocular coordination, and peripheral vision; possess uncorrected or corrected visual acuity of 20/20 in both eyes combined; possess unaided or aided hearing with a hearing threshold level that does not exceed 25 dB in either ear at the frequencies of 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz (or an average in both ears of 25 dB for frequencies 500, 1000, 2000), 35 dB for 3000 Hz, and 45 dB for 4000 Hz.
Must be able to: stand for long periods of time; walk, run, climb, bend, stoop and lift weights commensurate with need to perform medical and/or other assistance; sprint for short spans of time; wear a uniform and equipment weighing approximately 25 pounds; be physically fit and able to use physical force to intervene in situations when necessary.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
| - Provides customer service, information and assistance to students, staff, faculty and the general public. May be required to broadcast emergency messages using appropriate notification systems. Provides motorist assists and other appropriate courtesy services to students, staff, faculty and the public. |
- Conducts foot, bicycle and vehicle patrol of college property, makes inquiries regarding incidents, gives warnings and citations, detains individuals as necessary and uses limited force when appropriate as defined by policy.
- Performs security and safety checks of college grounds and facilities to ensure a safe and healthy environment. Identifies safety hazards and assists first responders to hazardous material incidences. Secures and provides authorized access to college facilities during hours of operation. Takes appropriate action in response to intrusion and panic alarms. Responds to fire and medical emergencies, and provides crises intervention in conflict or emergency situations. Evaluates circumstances, coordinates outside responses, secures hazardous area, and performs as an emergency first responder. Provides on-scene incident command in emergency situations.
- Conducts preliminary investigations of incidents occurring on college property which includes interviewing suspects, witnesses and victims, and assures appropriate disposition of such incidents. May make arrests and search arrested persons, inventory property and provide appropriate custody of persons.
- Utilizes and maintains certification for the use of the Law Enforcement Data System (LEDS), Portland Police Data System (PPDS) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) data system which accesses highly confidential information.
- Participates in a variety of meetings and committees to ensure that safety and security issues are appropriately addressed.
- Performs required testing or inspection of safety and security equipment to include cameras and mass notification systems during prescribed intervals to ensure proper working condition.
- Prepares incident, special, and medical reports for college and law enforcement use as necessary. Maintains records and log books as required.
- Participates in judicial proceedings such as appearing in court as arresting officer or witness and providing testimony; appearing at college administrative hearings to give testimony; and delivering all property, evidence and relevant information to appropriate agency.
- May enforce the college motor vehicle and traffic regulations and other public safety rules. Assists other jurisdictions while they are on college property.
- Participates in district disaster preparation drills and evaluation.
- Maintains current knowledge of public safety methods and practices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
| In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application. |
High school diploma or equivalent. Two years of college level coursework in Criminal Justice, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science or related fields (experience in the field may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the college requirement).
Must be 21 years of age.
Must be able to complete four month Department Field Training and Evaluation Program within one year of appointment. Must be able to obtain within one year of appointment (or have upon hire) an emergency medical Basic First Aid certification, Basic CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification, and Basic AED (Automated External Defibrillator) certification.
Must be able to obtain a current Private Security ID certification obtained through Department of Public Safety Standards and Training from the State of Oregon; or be able to obtain within 30 days of employment. Upon hire must be able to complete certification requirements for LEDS/NCIC. Must be able to pass both a personal and criminal history background investigation. Must not have been convicted of a felony crime or any crime for which a maximum term of imprisonment of more than one year may be imposed. Must not have been convicted of any law violations of this state or any other jurisdiction involving the unlawful use, possession, delivery, or manufacture of a controlled substance, narcotic, or dangerous drug. Must be bondable.
Must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Oregon and possess an acceptable driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of word processing, database and/or spreadsheet applications;
Knowledge of state and local law enforcement rules and regulations;
Knowledge of laws governing arrest, search and seizure; investigative techniques;
Skill in interacting with diverse populations in a positive, objective and consistent manner;
Skill in interacting tactfully yet firmly with individuals;
Ability to provide courteous customer assistance to students, staff, faculty and the general public;
Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills to write detailed reports and memos;
Ability to accurately apply and explain policies, procedures and systems;
Ability to research records and information using internal/external databases;
Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with individuals as well as in a small group environment;
Ability to use sound judgment and good observational skills;
Ability to think clearly, analyze situations and perform effectively in stressful or emergency situations;
Ability to maintain accurate and complete records.
| Special/Preferred Qualifications: |
- Successful candidates should have or be actively working on their Associate or Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Government, Business, Public Administration or related fields.
- One to two years of law enforcement experience or have worked for at least one year as a college Public Safety Officer.
- Completion of Department of Public Safety Standards Training (DPSST), Private Security (PSID) training, police academy, or police reserve academy.
- Experience as a first-responder dealing with emergencies (medical, criminal investigations, or disaster response). Maintain composure an take appropriate action during stressful situations. Cope with a variety of situation with tact, discretion, and respect.
- Experience providing excellent customer service, ability to work with diverse communities, able to work harmoniously in a small group/team environment setting. Ability to think independently and express ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, sound judgment, good observation skills and the ability to recall information, prepare accurate, timely, and comprehensive reports.
- Dependability, credibility as a witness, good written, oral, and interpersonal skills, independent decision making ability. Follow both written and verbal instruction.
-Ability to keep sensitive information strictly confidential at all times.
Additional Posting Information:
| ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: |
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions - see questions below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment physical as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
| Responses to Required Questions |
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency